Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Users Say Windows 10 Anniversary Update Hosed Their Partitions

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:10 AM

It seems that the latest version of Microsoft’s OS has attention issues. Not content with forcing itself on users who didn’t want it, it may be taking even more drastic steps of hosing other operating systems entirely!

A handful of reports surfacing on social media suggest, anecdotally, that the Windows 10 anniversary may interfere with, affect and even delete other partitions on the same disk.

If these claims are accurate —and do keep in mind that various different factors may be at play in these cases — it would be a pretty shocking situation.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:05 PM

There needs to be some sort of formal investigation by somebody into this and MS needs to be dragged into court and fined. Luckily I did not have anything important on my Linux Partition.

#3 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:28 PM

NickAu:

Did you completely lose the Linux partition or was it just the bootloader that was changed (GRUB replaced)?  :unsure:

Greets!

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 05:00 PM

This Page also makes for interesting reading.

I attempted to update an existing install of win 10 to the anniversary edition and it made complaint of insufficient space and automatically started to use disc cleaner to "cleanup" and make more space available,,,it already had more than was necessary so I stopped that post haste !

I ended up downloading a fresh copy of the anniversary edition and making a new virtual box for it. The process was easy and straightforward.

Reading of the issues experienced,... and some of the lengths some posters are going to, in order to get win10A on their pc's....I am so glad I dumped win 10 where it belongs  ....in the rubbish bin. Thank you God for virtual machines !!

Edited by Condobloke, 06 August 2016 - 05:29 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 05:58 PM

Lost the parition, and I am not %^$#$# happy

Edited by NickAu, 06 August 2016 - 05:58 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,675 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:04 PM

Microsoft's attempt to get one billion users.  :rolleyes:

Microsoft's Quality Control has really taken a dive in recent years. Look at BC's news on the people whose computer's have basically frozen after the update.

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,955 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:40 PM

Howdy All,

I don't post over here at the Linux section very often but I read a lot of threads. This thread caught my attention because I happen to belong to a couple of Windows 10 forums and I am also a Windows 10 beta tester. The gist of the article stating that the Anniversary Edition of Windows 10 is deleting people's partitions is well documented throughout many different forums, and many of my fellow Windows 10 early adopters have experienced this phenomenon.

The problem is not limited to the C: drive, the Anniversary Edition has reeked havoc on every attached drive in many people's systems. This problem has been responsible for some of my friends losing family pictures and work related documents, as well other priceless files. I myself installed the Anniversary Edition early Tuesday morning, the first day it was released, but I disconnected every drive except my C: drive and I did a clean installation from a fresh DVD so I was not affected.

This situation is catastrophic, to say the least, and I have heard nothing but horror stories all over my Windows 10 forums relating to this.

Rocky Bennett

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:49 PM

Howdy All,

I don't post over here at the Linux section very often but I read a lot of threads. This thread caught my attention because I happen to belong to a couple of Windows 10 forums and I am also a Windows 10 beta tester. The gist of the article stating that the Anniversary Edition of Windows 10 is deleting people's partitions is well documented throughout many different forums, and many of my fellow Windows 10 early adopters have experienced this phenomenon.

The problem is not limited to the C: drive, the Anniversary Edition has reeked havoc on every attached drive in many people's systems. This problem has been responsible for some of my friends losing family pictures and work related documents, as well other priceless files. I myself installed the Anniversary Edition early Tuesday morning, the first day it was released, but I disconnected every drive except my C: drive and I did a clean installation from a fresh DVD so I was not affected.

This situation is catastrophic, to say the least, and I have heard nothing but horror stories all over my Windows 10 forums relating to this.

Rocky Bennett

Have there been any reports of partitions being deleted on attached USB external drives? 

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 August 2016 - 03:11 PM.

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,955 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:52 PM

I think I have read a few reports of folks losing their data on desktop Western Digital My Books and drives like that. It is not pretty scenario.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,440 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:27 PM

Sounds to me as though you need to do what Rocky has suggested.....the same as you need to do in any multi-drive setup, when you're installing any version of Windows.

It will always try to hog every available bit of space for itself. The old saying is very, very true; Windows does not 'play nice' with other OS's.

I run an old copy of Win XP Pro alongside 8 Puppies. XP and 5 Pups on the main system drive (500 GB WD Caviar 'Blue'), and 3 more on a secondary KingSpec 32GB IDE/PATA SSD. On top of that, I have an external 500 GB Seagate 'Expansion' USB 3.0 drive, running through a USB 3.0 PCIe adapter card, which holds all my backups and personal data. Every time I re-install XP (couple of times a year), I unplug the Seagate and the Kingspec.....after creating the XP primary partition afresh with Puppy's gParted. Despite claims to the contrary, I've never had XP whinge about me doing that yet.....  :P

There'll come a day..!

I couldn't run Win 10 even if I'd wanted to; this old Compaq Presario desktop PC from 2004/5 is simply too old, and too low-spec. Which suits me down to the ground. Win 7 wasn't bad.....but after that, M$ just started going rapidly downhill as far as I was concerned.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@NickAu:- Commiserations, mate. That is crappy luck; my sympathies. *Ouch!!*

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 08 August 2016 - 06:30 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:45 AM

Are you sure that the "deleted partition" issue is related to Windows AU, and not the infected ClassicShell and Audacity (and some others) downloads on FossHub? The malware that was used could have caused this issue. I ask that because the hijack and Windows AU were released on the same day, and some people associated the issue with Windows AU, but they had tried to install ClassicShell or Audacity that day too.

Edit: Also, I have a SSD and 2 1TB HDD, and I haven't experienced any issues with them so far.

Edited by Aura, 09 August 2016 - 10:46 AM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,955 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:07 PM

According to the many reports that I have read and heard on this subject, the deleted partition phenomenon is related to users that are installing Windows 10 Anniversary Edition onto PCs that are UEFI based and formatted in the GUID partition table. Windows 10 is creating little 100 mb EFI partitions as recovery partitions on every physical drive and destroying the existing partition table. The data that is already stored on the physical drives is not actually destroyed but if one does not know the cause of the problem then it is very hard to retrieve the files that seem to be lost.

It is a big hassle when your physical drive has been reformatted to create a partition that is not even necessary, and most users really don't know how to retrieve their data so they start mucking around doing more damage.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:12 PM

I guess I didn't experience the issue because my PC is already set to UEFI and I converted all my drives to GPT when I clean installed Windows 10.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,721 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:19 PM

because my PC is already set to UEFI and I converted all my drives to GPT when I clean installed Windows 10.

Mine too but I have Ubuntu installed along side Windows in UEFI mode.

#15 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:44 AM

Hmm... I have 3 PCs all running Windows 10. Two of them have Ubuntu on separate drives. Guess I will find out what happens. I still have to go in and fix grub though... I installed 10 while having Ubuntu already installed.

I hope it doesn't wipe the Linux drives.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users