Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows.Old

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gülay

gülay

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:48 AM

I upgraded my OS to windows 10 from 8.1. But windows 8.1 still runs at the backgroud. Tried Disk cleanup to uninstall windows.old folder not possible. Tried changing the ownership method to delete the windows.old,  I receive a warning ''the folder is open or being in use. Can you pls tell me the way : 1. close the windows.old folder, 2. delete it all together. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:45 PM

Start File Explorer.  Right-click C:.  Click Properties.  

On the General tab click Disk Cleanup.  After it searches your C: drive, click the option to clean up system files, then click the box in the list to clean up Previous Windows installation files, and click OK.

Edited by Niweg, 06 August 2016 - 01:49 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 gülay

gülay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 02:33 PM

Dear Niweg,done that already. No use. Thanks

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:31 PM

First of all what do you mean Windows 8.1 still runs at background you claim does not make sense there is no way for you to tell Windows 8.1 running at background as there is no process that is only created for Windows 8.1 if its then why is it running within Windows 10. Can you take screenshot of the process or whatever that shows you Windows 8.1 working in background.

Now about deleting the all upgrade left over files and folders run my batch script as a administrator.

Attached File  Clear_Temp.bat   5.94KB   15 downloads

Edited by FreeBooter, 06 August 2016 - 03:31 PM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:36 PM

If 8.1 still running in the background, I don't think you can delete windows.old and that is why you get the message that it is open and in use.

When did you upgrade to Win10?

I don't understand how 8.1 is running in the background.

#6 gülay

gülay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:52 AM

A year ago I upgraded to Windows 10 and couple days ago updated to Anniversary update. I don't understand either. But 8.1 is still there. When starting the computer first I see Win. 8 opening page for a second and then Windows 10  wellcome page starts 

#7 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:42 AM

You mean this screen?:

471642-1-speed.jpg?thumb=y

This screen is the same in Windows 10 as well

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:31 AM

Boot into safe mode and try deleting Windows.old

You do have to jump through hoops to boot Windows 10 in safe mode.

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10 shows you how.

What I suggest is for you to try Option 2 first. It is a process but should get you into safe mode.

IF you do have to use msconfig, while in safe mode make sure you go back to msconfig and disable the safe mode option.

Safe mode looks different in Windows 10.

If successful you will see Safe Mode and the Windows build version at the top of your desktop.
FTefeEO.png

#9 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:50 AM

If all else fails, you can boot up a Linux DVD and delete it from there.  I like Linux Mint because it has a user interface similar to Windows so you don't have to know anything about Linux.  And you can put it on a DVD or flash drive and boot from it without having to install anything on your system.  You can download it from here:

http://linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php .

Good luck.

Edited by Niweg, 07 August 2016 - 11:50 AM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#10 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:52 AM

Why do you invented, if has long been known, that is possible to remove using two methods:
1. use the normal Windows Disk Cleanup (located in the folder %ProgramData%\ Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools),
or use
2. CCleaner (check Old Windows).
NB! The first does not erase anything, but only hides them and everything stays on the hard drive (can recover) , it is as Windows usually deletes everything, the second method destroys files permanently. Of cource, destroys files only then, if you use for example "Simple Overwrite...", can choose in the settings)

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 August 2016 - 12:07 PM

Why do you invented, if has long been known, that is possible to remove using two methods:
1. use the normal Windows Disk Cleanup (located in the folder %ProgramData%\ Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools),

Did you miss the posts in which gülay said Disk Cleanup did not work?

I upgraded my OS to windows 10 from 8.1. But windows 8.1 still runs at the backgroud. Tried Disk cleanup to uninstall windows.old folder not possible.

Start File Explorer.  Right-click C:.  Click Properties.  
 On the General tab click Disk Cleanup.  After it searches your C: drive, click the option to clean up system files, then click the box in the list to clean up Previous Windows installation files, and click OK.

Dear Niweg,done that already. No use. Thanks

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 August 2016 - 12:08 PM.

#12 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:58 PM

Am I missing something here?  Two unanswered questions:

1. What is the evidence that Windows 8.1 is "still running in the background"?  The Windows logo screen (with a "window" image, there is a whole set of them in C:\Windows\Web\4K\Wallpaper\Windows, and one image in C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Windows) appears for a moment at Windows 10 startup, as it did in 8.1, but that doesn't AFAIK mean 8.1 is still running somewhere.  I have two laptops recently upgraded from 8.1 to Windows 10, and find no evidence that Windows 8.1 is running in the background there.

2. Why delete the Windows.old folder?  It is there, I suppose, to allow you to roll back the upgrade (for a time) if you want to - but there are also things in there you might find useful, at least so I have found.  I can see a point in that if you are running out of hard drive space, but otherwise?

Maybe I am just missing the point here?

EDIT Ack, wrong image set . . . sorry

Edited by saluqi, 07 August 2016 - 03:18 PM.

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:11 PM

Consider waiting until the 10 day period is gone by (maybe day 11, 12 or even 13)

How to free over 10GB of disk space after installing Windows 10 Anniversary Update

http://www.howtogeek.com/264534/how-to-free-10-gb-of-disk-space-after-installing-a-new-build-of-windows-10/ NOTE: The Windows.old folder will automatically be cleaned up after 10 days

It still doesn't explain the Win 8.1 issue but as saluqi questions

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101° N, 0.2906° W

• Members
  • 5,816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:18 PM

I would like to hear from gülay

He is the OP

His previous topics are well reasoned.....so he needs to be given the benefit of the doubt here.

Do your issues persist,Gulay ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users