Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD/BR burning software: looking for recommendations Win 10

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cgtway2

cgtway2

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:48 AM

Hi All,

I'm hoping for some recommendations for software I can use to burn CDs, DVDs and Bluray discs on a Windows 10 machine.

I have very simple needs: I only need to burn a bunch of jpeg files to discs so I can snailmail them to people, I don't need to create movie discs or anything more complicated that a simple data disc. I do need to be able to give the discs names longer than 16 characters, which is why I can't use the built-in Win 10 burner software.

I'm a Win 10 user who until recently was a Mac user, so I'm a babe in the woods (a unique feeling for me!).

Many thanks for any recommendations.

Cheers!

Chas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:00 AM

Getting hardware and software to burn BluRay might get pricey in a hurry!  If you only burn CD/DVD [nonBlueRay] audio and video and text, prices range from modest to free.  Which tine of the fork in the road would you like to take?  I have both Cyberlink PowerToGo pay-for as well as several free burn utilitiies I can name for you.

Edited by RolandJS, 06 August 2016 - 09:01 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 cgtway2

cgtway2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:22 AM

Hi again @RolandJS!

I'm not too concerned about BR, I usually only need the capacity of DVDs (my burner will burn BR, but I don't even have any BR blanks).

I have no problem paying for software, as long as it's worth it (e.g. R-Studio :-) But free is always nice.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:40 AM

I use BurnAware Free on XP. It also supports Windows 10 and BluRay. Windows 10 has it's own burning features but I am not sure if it supports BluRay.

http://www.burnaware.com/

http://www.burnaware.com/compare-editions.html

#5 cgtway2

cgtway2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:45 AM

very helpful, @JohnC_21, I'll check it out now.

#6 cgtway2

cgtway2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:51 AM

Hmm, PC newbie as I may be, but burnaware seems to want to install "bytefence" and some sort of Yahoo software. I'm not familiar enough with the OS to de-install these two things, so I'm going to have to keep looking (hey, I understand that there has to be a cost to free software, but in this case I can't determine if it's worth it).

Thanks anyway for the recommendation, @JohnC_21, I'll keep looking and I'll come back to burnaware's for-pay version if I come up empty elsewhere.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:03 PM

cgtway2, two things to try:  download and install unchecky [from unchecky.com] and always attempt advanced or custom install whenever given the choice.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:03 PM

I never ran into those two programs unless I unchecked the optional software during install. It been awhile since I installed it. I just tried installing and you do indeed get that extra software with no option to avoid it. I must have installed an earlier version without the adware and I don't know if the earlier version supports 10. Sorry for the problem.

I would download Imgburn but it takes a little bit of a learning curve. Just make sure you unselect the options to install additional software. Or, you can use 7zip to extract the files from the EXE file and run it as a portable app. No install necessary.

If you don't care for Imgburn look at Starburn. It's free and as far as I know does not download extra software. 

Starburn user manual

Edit: My version of BurnAware is 9.0 not 9.3. When I started BurnAware if asked it I wanted to update and I refused. I downloaded V9 from filehippo and I can confirm that V9 does not include bytefence. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 August 2016 - 08:09 AM.

#9 cgtway2

cgtway2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:21 AM

@RolandJS, I always look for ways to uncheck just about anything an installer might want to throw in (besides the app I want, of course). Unchecky looks useful, thanks for the pointer.

#10 cgtway2

cgtway2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:25 AM

@JohnC_21, thanks for the link to starburn (a Community reference, perhaps?). I've successfully burned a disc with it, but it looks like there is no facility for multiple copies of the same data set (I always burn two copies of any disc). That's too bad, but I'll keep it installed.

I went to see what the options were for Nero software (because I'd heard of it, back when I was only Mac). The prices on their site, printed large, are just the upgrade prices, the original pricing is written in very tiny writing underneath. How underhanded!

#11 LoisGreen

LoisGreen

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:42 AM

Windows 10 has very good built-in burning feature, which will burn your CDs and DVDs fast, but it gives you only basic options. If you want some more burning options, you can take these applications to have a try.

• ImgBurn: ImgBurn is probably the best free burning tool you can find right now, as it offers the most options. 
  • DVD Creator: This application is capable of burn video to both DVD and Blu-ray Disc.
  • DVD Flick: DVD Flick is a free burning tool specified for crating and burning video DVDs. 

#12 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:41 AM

CDBurnerXP is free and works on all Windows platforms including Win 10.

https://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

Good help file

https://cdburnerxp.se/help/Intro/faq

#13 abdulquan

abdulquan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:33 AM

my opinion on it is PowerISO is an application that works in all.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:46 AM

my opinion on it is PowerISO is an application that works in all.

Excellent choice - I have it also  :)   The only problem I had previously was trying to get the install EXE past my security.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users