Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver issues after replacing HDD

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 DAM091

DAM091

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:30 AM

Hello. My Dell Inspiron N7110 laptop, service tag D7V02S1, had a hard drive failure not too long ago. I replaced it with a hybrid drive. I did not have the DVD that should be included to reinstall Windows, as I bought it refurbished. I believe Dell doesn't send them anyway, you have to create your own. I didn't realize this until it was too late, of course. Regardless, I installed Windows 7 Home Premium from another disc and used my serial number, and all was fine. However, upon visiting the Dell support site for drivers, their utility suggested many drivers for the same things, instead of just the ones I need. I was able to figure out and install most of the correct ones, but I could not figure out the correct Bluetooth driver. In attempting to fix the problem, I managed to cause my Wi-Fi to stop working. I am able to connect to the internet using a cable, but not wireless.

Please help me fix this problem. It has been suggested to me that I need to reinstall Windows again and start all over, and if I must, that's fine. But since I still don't know which drivers are the right ones, I fear I'll run into the same issue again. Let me know whatever additional info is needed, and how to find it, and I'll post back here ASAP.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

-David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:33 AM

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

p22004369.gif

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot. You will see the following prompt:

p22004371.gif

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

p22004372.gif

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 August 2016 - 04:50 PM.

#3 DAM091

DAM091
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:50 AM

Should I run the Speccy or Speccy64 installer? I have 64 bit windows.

Edit: I am in front of my computer as we speak. Sorry for not replying right away, I didn't realize someone had responded so soon. I'll keep refreshing the page, since I know you're active. Thank you for your prompt response! I really appreciate it.

Edit 2: I used some common sense and ran Speccy64.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/OCihhOxczXl7VioQgMmAp4M

Edited by DAM091, 06 August 2016 - 08:57 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:12 AM

I don't see your Wifi Adapter in Speccy. Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to a Network Adapter in Device Manager? If so then right click the device, select Properties, and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and paste the first line into your next post.

Do this for every device with a yellow exclamation mark.

#5 DAM091

DAM091
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:14 AM

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002B&SUBSYS_02051028&REV_01
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002B&SUBSYS_02051028
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002B&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002B&CC_0280

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:23 AM

That is an Atheros chipset. The Dell Wireless 1702 uses that chipset according to Wikidevi.

This should be the driver.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=CWWRT&fileId=3126795759&osCode=W764&productCode=inspiron-17r-n7110&languageCode=en&categoryId=NI

#7 DAM091

DAM091
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:23 AM

It appears that I already have this driver, as I'm being prompted to modify, repair, or remove. What do you recommend?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:34 AM

I would repair it. If that does not solve the problem, remove and reinstall.

#9 DAM091

DAM091
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:48 PM

Repairing it did not work, so I removed, rebooted, reinstalled, and rebooted again. While bluetooth seems to be working now, I still have a yellow exclamation point on Dell Wireless 1702 802.11b/g/n. No Wi-Fi. Could it be that I have installed too many drivers, and one of the others is conflicting? I downloaded a utility called "InstalledDriversList" that does just that. Would it help if I posted the list?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:37 PM

See if downloading the intel chipset and intel management engine under the Chipset category on your support page allows detection of the Wifi chipset. Reboot after installing.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/D7V02S1/drivers

Does Device Manager specifically name your Wifi as the Dell Wireless 1702?  If you right click and select properties does it indicate the problem?

#11 DAM091

DAM091
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:59 PM

Sorry for the delay in posts. Didn't see the response.

I installed both the chipset and engine, but they had previously been installed. I ran both installs again and rebooted. No change.

Device manager lists, under "Network Adapters", "Dell Wireless 1702 802.11b/g/n" with a yellow exclamation point on it.

Device status states:

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)

Hardware IDs:

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002B&SUBSYS_02051028&REV_01
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002B&SUBSYS_02051028
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002B&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002B&CC_0280

Is there any way I can uninstall all of these extra drivers I shouldn't have installed in the first place? Would you recommend that?

Thank you again.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:20 PM

What extra drivers are we talking about. If the intel management engine and chipset then reinstalling them again would not be a problem. Any extra drivers you installed should not conflict with the Wifi drivers. Your Wifi adapter is the only listing in Device Manager with a yellow exclamation mark,correct?

The problem with your Atheros chipset is it's a Dell exclusive. The only place you can download the driver is from Dell. I did find a later driver here but I can't say if it will work or not.

Is your USB ports functioning? I would also download and install the USB 3 drivers from your support site if you have not done so.

#13 DAM091

DAM091
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:23 PM

The problem is, I went crazy and installed pretty much everything from that list. That's what seems to have caused this problem. Could it be that something is conflicting with the correct Wi-Fi driver?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

If you installed everything from the list you should still be okay because if you tried to install a driver that was not appropriate for your computer the install would fail. 

Have you tried installing the Wifi Driver in Safe Mode?

You can open an elevated Command Prompt. Type CMD in the search box. Right Click > Run as Administrator. Type

sfc /scannow

This will look for any missing or corrupt system files.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 August 2016 - 04:30 PM.

#15 DAM091

DAM091
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:03 PM

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users