Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anniv. Update: Jump Lists have disappeared from Start Menu

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:30 AM

Has anyone else experienced this side effect?

I have double checked that I have the jump list feature still turned on, and have even turned it off and back on again, but none of my frequently used programs have shown a jump list when you hover at the right extreme of their "bar" since the Anniversary Update.

That's a feature I used a lot, miss, and would like to have back.  If there's a way to get it before Microsoft issues an official fix please share it.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:17 AM

I just checked my Windows 10 Anniversary Edition and jump lists work perfectly for me.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

I just checked my Windows 10 Anniversary Edition and jump lists work perfectly for me.

Another mystery of this upgrade.   I have to say that based upon reports of others and my own experience this particular upgrade has been one of the most problematic and unpredictable, even if the problems are relatively small, since the advent of Windows 10.

It's the only one where I've experienced peculiarities like this one.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

If anyone might know what registry key triggers the presence/absence of jump lists on the start menu would you mind sharing?

I am finding their absence awfully frustrating and I'd really like to avoid rolling back to 1511 or doing a reset on 1607 if I don't have to.  I've tried resetting the "Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar" and that's had no effect whatsoever.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:42 AM

I found this. Hopefully it works.

http://www.betamin.org/how-to-enable-jump-list-in-windows-os/434/

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:00 AM

John,

Thanks so much for the pointer.  Unfortunately adding that key and setting it as directed has had no effect whatsoever either before or after a restart.  I may have to try a "Keep My Files" Reset and hope I don't lose too much in terms of installed applications or else roll back to 1511 and hope they fix whatever it is that got screwed up.

It's not like jump lists are a "new thing" and perhaps my experience is idiosyncratic.  I certainly have to believe so since I'm not seeing this issue discussed further here or elsewhere.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:05 AM

Good Luck. As you can see here the Anniversary Update wasn't exactly smooth. There was also an issue of linux partitions being deleted on dual boot systems after the update. 

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:14 AM

Many people experienced partition issues with this upgrade. I unplugged all of my drives except my C: drive before the upgrade was installed, which is always a good idea when you are dealing with Microsoft.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:15 AM

John,

Oh, do I know the Anniversary Update has not been exactly smooth!!   This issue is about the only one I've had, really, but I work with individuals who are blind or visually impaired, and the various groups I'm on for that community have been lighting up with issues that have cropped up after the Anniversary Update, particularly in relation to the assistive technology they use, that remind me of the earliest days of Windows 10.

This is the first of the upgrades that's been released that I really don't think that Microsoft came close to adequately testing before releasing it "into the wild."  There have been far, far, far too many issues reported and a wide variety of those as well.  By this point in time I expect that these upgrades should be as close to perfectly seamless as possible, but they're not.  Also, Microsoft should not be making changes like moving the power button without warning people that this is one of the changes being made.  Anyone using accessibility software expects that the structure of the start menu will not be changing without warning.  It did for this upgrade.

#10 guphware

guphware

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:20 PM

I also miss the jump list feature when hovering over a program on the Start Menu.  Almost by accident I discovered right-clicking the program will bring up the jump list post Anniversary update, but still prefer the hover method :-(

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:57 AM

guphware,

I made the same accidental discovery as you had about one day ahead of you.  I posted a thread entitled, Jump Lists on Start Disappeared with Anniversary Update - How Do I Get Them Back?, on the Microsoft Community where I documented this on the page I've linked to, toward the bottom.

This change, and the lack of any announcement that it was going to be made/had been made, ranks right up there with the stupidest I've ever seen with regard to changing an established GUI convention.

Edited by britechguy, 16 September 2016 - 09:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users