Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mistakenly deleted a .sys file using hitman pro and windows 7 wont boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gsw100

gsw100

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:47 AM

Hi Can anyone please help??

I've mistakenly deleted a .sys file after a hitman pro scan.

windows won't boot and it won't restore, tried a windows 7 iso but it won't boot on start up to install and keeps going back to windows repair.....which doesn't work!!

desperately need the pc can anyone please point me in the right direction?

kind regards

Greg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:05 PM

Hi gsw100 and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer :wave:

Start your computer and press F8

Choose System Recovery Options

Click on Repair your computer

Choose Command Prompt

Type this and press enter:

sfc.exe /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

Let it finish, and restart your computer. Does your computer boot now?

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:09 PM

Going forward, after you get the computer back up and running aok:

set the HitmanPro default to "Ignore," not "Delete."  And use only quick and default scans.  It will be much safer if you have to manually delete item by item, line by line, what you know is not good for your computer.  That's what I've been doing on my three computers for some time now.

Edited by RolandJS, 06 August 2016 - 07:10 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,451 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:11 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

In your next post can you please include the make and model of your computer, or, if a self-built, then the mobo, CPU and RAM. At the least, this is useful information !

Can you get into 'Safe mode' (normally by tapping the F8 key a few times after you switch on and until the BIOS screen appears) ?  If you can, scroll down - using the up/down arrow keys to 'Last known good configuration' then press 'Enter'. If Win repair isn't working this may not either but it is worth a try.

If neither safe mode or Win repair work then you are probably looking at either a recovery situation or a re-install, both of which will wipe out any data of yours on the computer. You will wish to recover any data - work, photos, music, etc. - before you do this. One of the simplest ways to do this is to use a self-booting Linux CD and use the Linux system to copy all your data to external storage before you do a recovery or re-install.

This will NOT turn your computer into a Linux box since a self-booter runs entirely in RAM. I personally use Puppy for this for two reasons - (1) I have a copy on my desk, and, (2) it fits on a CD !  You can use most versions of Linux as a self-booter but Puppy is nice and small. You can get it, plus instructions, here -

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

It downloads as an ISO. If you are going to use it as a CD you will need to unpack the ISO before you burn it, if you need to use a USB drive the you will need to use 'Rufus' to burn the ISO to a memory stick. Google it.

Start the computer with either the CD in the drive or the USB plugged in. You may need to go into the BIOS to change the boot priority order so thet either the CD or the USB is first, whichever you are using, and the computer should just boot .  It is then merely a matter of plugging in some external storage big enough to take your data and copying it across to it.

If you have any more questions on this procedure, post back. Somewhere down the line you may get the lecture on the advantages of having a back up policy in place !

Chris Cosgrove

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:20 PM

No lecture from me!  I will simply recommend a bi-weekly backup onto whatever affordable and trustworthy external media.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users