Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 updates craziness?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:55 AM

Yesterday I updated my 32 bit PC which did the Anniversary one OK.

Today I went to updates on my 64 bit laptop but there was no sign of the Anniversary one but it updated to the 10586.494 from the .210 build.

Now tonight going to updates on my netbook which I haven't used for 2 weeks or so it started to update to 5% and then said the computer was up to date with the last update date of 18th July!!!

Can anyone explain what is going on here? - thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:52 PM

It's a phased rollout over time.  Newer PCs go first.  You can click Settings -> Update & Security if you want it right now.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for responding.

That's how I got to the updates , thru Settings which gave me differing downloads. The laptop is newer than the PC and the netbook the oldest but is that really the difference? I've never seen any info on that anywhere which I thought would be explained on the many tech sites.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 05:56 PM

If I were running win 10 as a main OS (which I am not), I would reboot the pc(s), and then leave them on till the update process takes its course.

Are you running any dual boot systems on any of those PC's ??

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:06 PM

You can check the which version Windows 10 running by pressing Win + R keys and type Winver

Yo can download the  Windows 10 Anniversary Update Version 1607

Posted Image

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:17 PM

If this is like the last several "major updates" the rollout will be weeks long, and will be influenced by what Microsoft is getting back from telemetry as far as whether to speed it up, slow it down, or suspend it entirely.

I wish I could remember now which one it was, but one of the major updates last year got stopped in its tracks because of unanticipated bugs that were revealed by telemetry.

This is not like an update to Windows Defender definitions or the typical "Patch Tuesday" updates.  

Using the manual Windows Update function in Update & Security will not guarantee you to get the Anniversary Update, either.  It's downloaded and installed on my HP laptop (Win10 Home 64-bit), not yet on a Toshiba laptop (Win10 Home 64-bit) on the same network and with update sharing on the network turned on.  My Win10 Pro 32-bit downloaded and attempted to install the Anniversary Update and it failed.  It has not retried again over several days, and I've tried manually triggering it on that box multiple times.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:17 AM

No dual boots on any computer.

From britechguy it seems there is no consistency on these download updates so I'll just wait for the auto updates appear in due course. Now I know that it isn't my computers not performing well.

Thanks again to all responders.

#8 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:44 AM

If you have recently upgraded to Windows 10 or to a newer build, then you will not be offered the Anniversary Update, until a month after. Microsoft did this just in case you want to go back to the previous OS. If you want to install the Anniversary Update now, then follow these instructions:

Upgrading to latest Windows 10 build

We will try to get you upgraded to the latest build using the Windows 10 update tool:

Note: Although the chances of data loss are slim, it is advisable to back up your data

First of all, disable your antivirus

Go to this page: Windows 10

Click on Upgrade Now

Run the tool, and follow the on-screen instructions

Let us know if there are any errors/problems when installing this

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:07 AM

From britechguy it seems there is no consistency on these download updates so I'll just wait for the auto updates appear in due course. 

There's certainly no pattern that your random end user, including myself, will ever be able to detect.  Also, the rollouts can be and have been changed due to telemetry information that's come in from the earliest to be upgraded that indicate potential trouble spots that might be ironed out prior to continuing the rollout.

Unless there's some desperate reason one simply has to have one of these major upgrades pronto, the best thing to do is to wait until they get pushed out to your machine via the usual Windows Update process.  Given the way the early days on this one have gone I'm more than happy to wait for the other two Windows 10 machines in my household to keep chugging along on 1511 until the issues already identified with 1607 are ironed out.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users