Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No POST,No Beep..Startup issue

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 adarsnai

adarsnai

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:54 AM

I can see that on Power on..no beep..no POST happening..although Internal fan running,HDD running,.
But on startup the Keyboard LED does not blink.neither BIOS screen appears..

Tried resetting bios but that did not work.

Help appreciated.

Mother Board: Intel DH55PJ

Edited by adarsnai, 06 August 2016 - 06:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:11 AM

You have a low-level hardware failure.

I assume that your monitor is dark and unresponsive, am I correct?  Test it on another computer just to check, that is important.

Unplug & replug all your power and data connectors, including the 24 pin mainboard connector, and any molex connectors.

Try to access the BIOS by tapping the appropriate F-key on boot. I assume that you will not be able to enter the BIOS screen. Result?

Try to enter Safe Mode by tapping the appropriate F-key on boot. Result?

Question: explain how you reset the BIOS?

If you cannot access the BIOS screen, test the power supply (if you can).

> You can swap it with another that you know is good, just to test.

> Use a power supply tester if you have one

> Use a mulitmeter tester if you know how to use one.

If you have a laser mouse, does the light on the bottom glow, or is it dark?

Test all your USB ports; does the thumb drive light up, or is there any indication of activity?

Post back with results to the above steps.

Edited by ranchhand_, 06 August 2016 - 08:14 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:11 PM

In order to give you proper suggestions it would help if you were to post what operating system you are running.

If this is Windows 8 or Windows 10 you will not be able to boot into Safe Mode without making changes in the System Configuration prior to booting into Safe Mode.  

If the operating system is Windows 7 or earlier you can use F8 to access the Advanced Boot Options where you can select to run the computer in safe mode.

It would also help if you were to post the make and model of the other components used in this build, other than the motherboard which you posted previously. 

CPU, RAM, PSU, GPU, etc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 adarsnai

adarsnai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 12:51 AM

@ ranchhand_ :

I have tested the monitor by connecting to it to another system and it works fine.

I had followed the below DH55PJ mob guide to reset Bios .

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/18913/eng/DH55PJ_ProductGuide01_English.pdf

Page number 50.

and even tried removing the CMOS and put it back after 5mins.

Power supply i just bought a week back and working and it is Corsair 450W and its adequate for my Hardware configuration.

I can see that the thumb drive LED glows...but my question remains that when I power on the machine during POST the keyboard LED used to glow earlier but now I am not able to see that.

Thats why I doubt POST is not happening.
I checked that even the laser mouse light does not glow.
I tried tapping the F10/F2 as per the Mob guide but still no BIOS screen.

#5 adarsnai

adarsnai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 12:57 AM

@Arachibutyrophobia
I have a dual boot system...Fedora 20 with Windows 7..Default being Fedora.
Components: PSU -> Corsair VS450
                      RAM: Transcend 2 X 2GB
                      CPU: i3 540 (First Gen )
                       Mob: Intel DH55PJ

HDD: Seagate 500GB
                       No external GPU..just using onboard Graphics.

As per my understanding the BIOS screen should appear irrespective of whether system is able to find an OS or not.

Edited by adarsnai, 07 August 2016 - 01:00 AM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:35 AM

During your bench test, meaning starting with just motherboard and power supply and adding one item at a time back into the mix, have you tried a borrowed set of PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse?  And with no flash drives attached during this bench-testing.  During my year of being an onsite parts-replacer for a computer company years ago, I learned to not only test all the internal stuff but also all the external stuff via "bench-building" if necessary.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:26 AM

As per my understanding the BIOS screen should appear irrespective of whether system is able to find an OS or not.

That is correct.  

Can you boot into the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:12 AM

You are correct.

I have a dual boot system...Fedora 20 with Windows 7..Default being Fedora

Is your dual-boot system with a single HDD with two partitions, or is it two separate HDDs with an operating system on each? If it is two HDDS, try pulling off the power cable to the Windows 7 drive and see if you can boot clean into Fedora. Then repeat connecting the opposite way.  I don't think you will be able to, but we must test everything to be sure.

If you only have one HDD, pull off the power cable and reboot. Now do you get the BIOS screen?

Next, If you have extra memory sticks, remove your existing and replace with a single stick in the #1 slot and try to boot. If you do not have any extra, remove each stick at a time and try booting with only one. Only once have I seen a computer act like this, and it turned out to be bad memory, believe it or not.

Post back with results.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 Darwin82

Darwin82

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:54 AM

check your RAM thats the problem causing it..

#10 adarsnai

adarsnai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:31 AM

That is correct.  

Can you boot into the BIOS?

No I am not able to boot into BIOS.
I have tried booting just with Mob, one stick of RAM, and no HDD or external components and still not able to see the BIOS screen.
Also I tried swapping the RAM modules and tested them on all slots.

Dou you think its an issue with Mob?

#11 adarsnai

adarsnai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:34 AM

During your bench test, meaning starting with just motherboard and power supply and adding one item at a time back into the mix, have you tried a borrowed set of PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse?  And with no flash drives attached during this bench-testing.  During my year of being an onsite parts-replacer for a computer company years ago, I learned to not only test all the internal stuff but also all the external stuff via "bench-building" if necessary.

I have tried to get the BIOS screen just with Mob, one stick of RAM, and no HDD or external components and still not able to see the BIOS screen.

Also I tried swapping the RAM modules and tested them on all slots
The Keyboard is USB and in working condition.Do I have to check with a PS/2 one?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:48 AM

If this computer isn't booting, how can you determine that the keyboard is working?

You need to answer ranchhand_'s questions regarding dual booting.

If the two operating systems are on different drives and Fedora is the default operating system pull the hdd with Fedora on it and see if the computer will boot from the Windows operating system.

Have you tried using a different monitor to be sure the problem isn't with it?

Do you have a dedicated graphics card you could try to make sure the integrated isn't the problem?

#13 adarsnai

adarsnai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:56 AM

If this computer isn't booting, how can you determine that the keyboard is working?

You need to answer ranchhand_'s questions regarding dual booting.

If the two operating systems are on different drives and Fedora is the default operating system pull the hdd with Fedora on it and see if the computer will boot from the Windows operating system.

Have you tried using a different monitor to be sure the problem isn't with it?

Do you have a dedicated graphics card you could try to make sure the integrated isn't the problem?

There is a single HDD that contains two partitions one contains Windows 7 and other one has Fedora.

I have connected my laptop's serial output to monitor It displays.
even I have tried the keyboard on by connecting to laptop and it works fine.

No I don't have dedicated graphics card.Just using onboard graphics that comes with Intel DH55PJ.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:57 AM

Ok... so now we know that the monitor works, this in turn indicates that there may be a problem with the integrated graphics, or the motherboard, RAM, or even the BIOS EEPROM.

Unfortunately there isn't any way to test these components short of just swapping out the parts till you find what is not working.

#15 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:14 PM

Also I tried swapping the RAM modules and tested them on all slots

I assume that you have two (2) sticks of RAM, and you tested all slots with one stick at a time, not two together at the same time but just swapping slots with them. Right?

If the above is correct, my opinion is that your motherboard failed.

> A bad hard drive will not stop accessing the POST screen unless there is a direct short inside the drive, which is rare. In addition, you have tried to get POST with the hard drive unplugged and it still failed, am I correct? If not, try that test: unplug the HDD and try to post. Results?

> Bad memory can stop POST, but if you have two or more sticks and tested as I described above, it is unlikely that two or more sticks will go bad all that the same time.

> I have had individual memory slots fail, but if you exchanged slots it is unlikely that all of them will fail at the same time.

if the above is correct, there is nothing left but the motherboard or the CPU. I my years of computer repair I have had only one CPU blow-out on me, they are built to such high quality that they rarely fail. So it appears that the motherboard has failed, which is a common failure in an older unit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users