Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software / Update Manager in Mint 18

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 05:50 AM

Hello everyone.

So I'm still humming along & happy with my new 100% Linux Mint 18 machine but have come up against a small problem which led me to another, so I thought I'd post it here.

I think both questions are fairly easy and related, so I'm going to ask both in this post.

• When installing (or even looking for) new software, I'm guessing my first place to look is in the Software Manager, correct?

• And if it's not in there - or I can't find it - what is the default download I choose in Linux Mint 18:      DEB or RPM?

These two questions came about as I was looking (and am looking) to download the Vivaldi browser from here.

Part Two:

When I first began setting up my machine and all it's preferences, in the Update Manger, I first selected, "Optimize stability and security" but after the 1st go round of updates, I realized, I don't know what the heck I'm doing, so I've gone back and selected, "Don't Break my Computer!"     << A great setting for anyone new to Linux & a great idea on the creators of Linux Mint.   :thumbup2:

So now when I apply updates - I just did one now while I was writing this & everything is working fine, the downloads complete and install and I get the Update is complete message. All is well and fine until I select Refresh.

Every time I do that, I get this message:

Update%20Manager%20issue_Mint%2018.png

Now, when I was setting things up, I was downloading (I think) all sorts of drivers for my Printer (Brother HL-L2380DW) and I think that is when this started.

• Is this an issue?

• And if not, how the heck do I get rid of this?

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:15 AM

what is the default download I choose in Linux Mint 18:      DEB or RPM

.deb files are for distro's  that derive from Debian (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc.) .

.rpm are for distros based around Redhat (Fedora, CentOS, RHEL) as well as by the openSuSE distro.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:45 AM

.deb files are for distro's  that derive from Debian (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc.) .

.rpm are for distros based around Redhat (Fedora, CentOS, RHEL) as well as by the openSuSE distro.

Thank you kind sir!

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:46 PM

Is this an issue?

It looks like a warning to say that specific repository is using SHA1 (which has long been superseded) algorithms, but if your printer driver downloaded ok then the warning isn't preventing the repository from being used.

To get rid of it, open /etc/apt/sources.list in a text editor using root privileges, then scroll down to the line with the url in the warning message, and comment it out (i.e. place a # at the start of the line). Save and exit text editor.

(If you need more detailed advice please let me know)

The downside is that your printer driver won't receive any updates (if there are any), but it's easy enough to reverse the process (uncomment the line) any time in the future, should you want to check for updates for your printer driver.

Edited by Al1000, 07 August 2016 - 01:47 PM.

#5 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:39 AM

It looks like a warning to say that specific repository is using SHA1 (which has long been superseded) algorithms, but if your printer driver downloaded ok then the warning isn't preventing the repository from being used.

To get rid of it, open /etc/apt/sources.list in a text editor using root privileges, then scroll down to the line with the url in the warning message, and comment it out (i.e. place a # at the start of the line). Save and exit text editor.

(If you need more detailed advice please let me know)

The downside is that your printer driver won't receive any updates (if there are any), but it's easy enough to reverse the process (uncomment the line) any time in the future, should you want to check for updates for your printer driver.

Greetings AI1000, thanks for the info & the advice on how to get rid of it.

With regards to your offer to provide more detailed advice, yes I would love to have some more detailed advice.

Been stumbling around my machine here this morning, but can't quite seem to figure *how* to open a text editor using root privileges. I'm still relying on my old Windows-centric habits, right-clicking on everything and looking for that alt-menu.

Any illumination would be greatly appreciated.

Winterland

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,696 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:56 AM

No problem. To edit the file using nano, follow these steps:
  • Open a terminal and run this command:
    sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
  • Using the direction keys on your keyboard, scroll down to the beginning of the line that contains the url in the warning message you posted.
  • Comment the line out, by inserting a # symbol at the start of the line. The line should now look like this:
    # http://www.openprinting.org/download/printdriver/debian/dists/lsb3.2/
  • Press Ctrl^X (hold down Ctrl and press x) on the keyboard
  • Press y on the keyboard
  • Press Enter on the keyboard
Job done. :)

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 01:56 PM

Whoops! bad post

Edited by pcpunk, 08 August 2016 - 02:04 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:57 AM

Hmmm, not sure *that* worked they way I was thinking it would and I have to get ready for work real soon and probably won't be able to post again until tomorrow morning or possibly this evening.

Followed the instructions and everything seemed good but now my little icon in the bottom panel is showing a red X and when I hover over it with my cursor, it tells me, "could not refresh the list of updates"

When I select Update Manager > View > Information, I can 'see' my machine waking up, looking for the updates and also some messages showing my activity over in the terminal.  Odd.

I'll screen shot what I can and get it posted when I have a moment to do so.

Thanks for the help.

Be back soon.

Winterland

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,696 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:32 AM

EDIT: Here is an easier way I've just discovered in my own installation of Mint 18:
  • Click on Menu and in the box in the menu, type software sources
  • Open software sources, entering your password at the prompt.
  • Click on the large button that says Restore Default Settings
  • Click on the other large button that should now say Update Cache
That should do the trick. If you still have problems, reverse the manual steps that I posted in post #6, although I suspect the system might do that for you when you click on "Restore Default Settings."

Edited by Al1000, 09 August 2016 - 07:25 AM.

#10 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:07 PM

EDIT: Here is an easier way I've just discovered in my own installation of Mint 18:

• Click on Menu and in the box in the menu, type software sources
  • Open software sources, entering your password at the prompt.
  • Click on the large button that says Restore Default Settings
  • Click on the other large button that should now say Update Cache
That should do the trick. If you still have problems, reverse the manual steps that I posted in post #6, although I suspect the system might do that for you when you click on "Restore Default Settings."

Well, when I went through and followed these instructions and then I ran into this right after selecting Update Cache:

after%20selecting%20update%20cache.png

So I went ahead & selected new mirrors (the ones I had originally, close to my house) and then reversed the manual steps in post #6 and then I got this:

after%20I%20took%20the%20last%20screen%2

But then I thought, "heck, I'll just reboot!" because I'm still so dang Window-centric and once I rebooted, I was back on track....back to where I was at the beginning...  :mellow:

My Update Manager is showing the green check mark and once I selected Refresh (since I knew it had been a day or two) I got the pop up from my OP and once I closed that, it showed my the latest updates, which installed without any issues.

So there you go.

If you think it is not anything that is cause for alarm, I can live with it.

I'm still working my way through trying to get the correct drivers for my Brother Printer - and judging from what I'm reading in the Linux Mint Forums, I'm not the only one - and so I'm guessing/hoping that once I figure out how to get my correct printer drivers installed, maybe this will go away....maybe?

Thanks for the help and if there is anything else you'd like me to try, I'd be glad to do it.

I'm learning a lot & I appreciate your time.

Winterland

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,696 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:28 PM

You're more than welcome.

If you could post the output of this command we can hopefully find out what's wrong with your sources.list file.
cat /etc/apt/sources.list

#12 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:09 PM

Here's what I see after running that command:

Bleeping%20Terminal%201.png

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,696 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:37 PM

There is a mistake in the url in line 2. It should read:
deb http://www.openprinting.org/download/printdriver/debian/dists/lsb3.2 contrib
If you correct that, you should be back to getting the warning message you posted in the OP.

Commenting out the line so that it reads:
# deb http://www.openprinting.org/download/printdriver/debian/dists/lsb3.2 contrib
...should stop the warning. I'm not sure why it didn't before, but it could have been because of the mistake.

If you want to follow the steps in post #6 again, after correcting the mistake in the url, then post the output of
when you're done, we can check the file looks ok.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:00 PM

I'm still working my way through trying to get the correct drivers for my Brother Printer - and judging from what I'm reading in the Linux Mint Forums, I'm not the only one - and so I'm guessing/hoping that once I figure out how to get my correct printer drivers installed, maybe this will go away....maybe?

Thanks for the help and if there is anything else you'd like me to try, I'd be glad to do it.

I'm learning a lot & I appreciate your time.

Winterland

You shouldn't need to install printer drivers for that printer, you can start another Thread for that if you like.  LM and Ubuntu already contain most of the drivers needed, accept for some of the newer printers.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#15 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:11 AM

If you want to follow the steps in post #6 again, after correcting the mistake in the url, then post the output of

when you're done, we can check the file looks ok.

w00t!  It appears to have worked!  :bananas:

Followed your instructions and now every time I hit Refresh, it does it's thing - downloading packing information - and then lets me know that my System is Up To Date (with no pop-ups!)

Output of that command looks like this:

After%20Post%2013_fixed.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users