Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oe Backup Tool Won't Run

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scan5

scan5

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:54 AM

Wish I'd found this site a year ago...

I use Outlook Express 6 for email. Yes, mea culpa. Nonetheless, about a year ago I came across a reference to OETOOL at insideOE.com. It puts a toolbar in OE that automates the process of backing up OE using OEquickbackup (OEQB). Many OE users use this with great results and it worked for me for a while. I click the "B" toolbar button and OEQB backs up up all of OE and cycles through four different backup directories each time invoked. This all worked fine for many months. In roughly March '06, the behavior changed. I click the "B" button and get a message saying that OETOOL must be run from the same directory that OEQB runs from.

I have uninstalled and re-installed both (OEQB and OETOOL) several times with the same results. I've verified that they are in the same directory.

I run Trend Micro PC-cillin, and Adware SE personal regularly. I have run AutoRuns to see if anything looked wrong. Haven't found it yet.

I don't understand how one .exe knows where it or any other runs from, so I'm stuck. I assume it's in the registry, but not sure. I don't notice any other symptoms (unusual slowness, other run time errors, etc.) I'm running XP HE on a 1.7Ghz P4 w/512MB and way more disk space than I use ;-).

Appreciate any suggestions...
scan5

Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 15 August 2006 - 05:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:50 AM

Have you searched the web site of the Author of the OE Backup Tool?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 scan5

scan5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:02 PM

TMACK,

Yes, I have. I've followed the directions which basically say to post problems in MSFT OE newsgroup. Did that. Only useful reponse was to look at 'mal'-ware as a cause. Followed that pretty far with no success.

Thanks,
Chris

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:47 PM

Did anything else change around the time the OE Backup Tool started giving you problems?
You could always uninstall the OE Backup Tool and just rely on the Windows Backup Utility.A bit more work tho.
I use Thunderbird for my e-mail program and they have a great little utility called MozBackup that works well.If you want to go that route.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 scan5

scan5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 03:56 PM

Turns out it was my AntiVirus SW, I think. The attempt to run the .exe brought up an AV warning me about the risks of running the image. Once I clicked the message away 'permanently' all has been running fine.

Thanks,
cs

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:50 PM

Glad you got things running again scan5! :thumbsup:
Also Thanx for reporting your fix,could help others in the future.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users