Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm thinking of formatting my hard disk - o/s is ubuntu 16.04...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 daveycrockett

daveycrockett

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:48 AM

Is this as easy as going to "disk" and select format? If so, does anyone have an idea of my odds on then successfully installing win 7 off of a flash drive usb? My computer skills are limited but I am having so much trouble running peripherals that I would like to try to get win 7 back and then at a later time partition the drive and re install ubuntu. Any thoughts guys?

Moved to General Linux section by NickAu

Edited by NickAu, 06 August 2016 - 03:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 05:12 AM

Hi

I moved your post from the Tutorials section to here.

Its easy, Basically, you boot your PC from the install media ( In this case USB ) and the Windows installer will do the rest for you just follow the prompts.

Once Windows is installed, Activate it and update it, Then Defragment the drive ( Only if its HDD, you do not De fragment SSD ), Once that is done you install Ubuntu next to it,  It really is as simple as that.

Do you have Windows 7 on USB to install from? If you do go ahead and install windows 7.

You may have to enter BIOS to change the boot order so your PC can boot from USB.

If you don't, Create one first.

How Create a USB Flash Drive Installer for Windows 10, 8, or 7

Do you need any help with any of the steps so far?

Regards

Nick

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:33 AM

Hi daveycrockett, long time no talk.

...but I am having so much trouble running peripherals

What sort of peripherals, Mate?