Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I overclock this Motherboard & CPU combo

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sambrincat

sambrincat

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 05 August 2016 - 11:43 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm new here. This is what I have. Can I overclock the CPU and if so how much and could you please point to some instructions online. This is be my first time. Thanks!

Motherboard - M5A78L-M/USB3 (I believe this board is PCIe 2.0 16 x 1 as that what it reads on the board itself - https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/galler...
RAM - 16GB Giel RAM DDR3

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:13 AM

Here is a tutorial for your cpu.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:34 PM

Quick answer yes, mobo and CPU can be OC'd if PSU is up to the task.

Always upgrade the stock air cooler. This is a given.

Don't be surprised if you end up replacing or adding a few case fans somewhere early into the adventure as you'll need added air flow through the case.

Case placement under a desk or enclosed doesn't work well with OCing so keep this in mind.

Monitor voltages and temperatures with HWInfo64 (free) on an ASUS.

Here's a very helpful guide http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard which saves a ton of text for more detailed information.

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users