Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Falling Apart Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kayla

kayla

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:58 AM

Once again I am sitting on my husband's computer as mine is just acting very weird. if you recall from my previous posts, my computer was running slow and making weird noises. Come to find out if was my c drive going bad. So we went out and bought a 80 g hard drive, so now I have an 80g main drive and a 120g secondary drive. I ended up loosing all my programs and had to reinstall them all, all working very fine, but now when I turn on my computer it runs really slow, it takes about 15 minutes to open up " My computer" and everything pretty much takes awhile to load. I don't understand what is going on with my computer but it is getting on my nerves, alot. I mean really. does anyone know what could be causing this problem? or any clues? thanks for any help you can give :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:12 AM

Did you reinstall your data? Perhaps your data contained an infection and now you have it on your computer again? It is a possibility.

Another thing we can check is this, assuming you are using Windows XP:

ctrl + alt + del

Click the Performance tab.

Give us the numbers found under Physical Memory and next to Total and Available.

Also, while you have the Task Manager open, tell us the average amount of CPU Usage you see (in percents).
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 kayla

kayla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:15 AM

it takes 15 minutes for that to show up as well, but when I can I will try.
we started all over again from scratch. so I have just reinstalled all programs....
I am having the worst month ever.
not to mention I ended up having to get a new case because my power button got stuck inside the case.

***edit: okay the physical memory total is 1048048

Edited by kayla, 15 August 2006 - 08:41 AM.

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:12 PM

Seeing as you have reinstalled all your software on a new HDD, it is likely they are doing what programs all around the world love - making themselves part of windows startup!

Go to the start ups forum and get someone to help you blow away some unnecessary start up programs...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/85/windows-startup-programs-database/

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users