Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WARNING: Windows 10 Anniversary Edition DO NOT REMOVE YOUR ANTIVIRUS!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 05 August 2016 - 02:10 PM

Note: This is from an Eset Reseller so use your own judgement on this article.

This week, Microsoft issued the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, which changes the way in which security status is presented to home users.

Windows Defender now displays a user’s protection status as “off” if any non-Microsoft antivirus protection, including ESET, is in use. Additionally, Windows Defender advises the user to remove their non-Microsoft antivirus protection.

This is a very different stance to Microsoft’s position in the past, where Windows Defender played well with others, and if you ran ESET (or any other) antivirus with Windows Defender, they co-existed relatively well together. Computer Security Solutions always recommended turning off the real-time protection of Windows Defender, so that you didn’t have two programs scanning the same file when you accessed it – but leaving Windows Defender “on” for a “second look” during an overnight scan was not a problem. Even though we have never heard of Microsoft’s product finding something that ESET didn’t (quite the reverse) – we felt it was OK to leave Defender on “just in case”.

Well now that Microsoft has changed the way the defender works, our advice has to change – because Microsoft is going to recommend that you remove ESET (and any other 3rd-party antivirus), and keep their Windows Defender as a single product.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 02:25 PM

Can anyone confirm that information? I'll be able to verify in like 2 hours once I get home.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 02:51 PM

I can't confirm, since I've been using Windows Defender, and am not encouraging anyone to remove any third-party antivirus or security suite they might be using.

That being said, if and when you do I have yet to see an instance where Windows Defender does not get turned back on immediately.  Windows 10 is more stringent about this than has been the case in the past.  You certainly wouldn't be without antivirus protection if you did remove a third-party product.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 04:45 PM

If this is true, Microsoft seems to be discouraging the use of 3rd party programs. This and you can't set any other browser than edge and Bing as your web browser cortana opens.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 05 August 2016 - 04:52 PM

I want to keep my 3rd party antivirus program.  I don't want Windows Defender to interfere with it.  I looked, and Defender is turned off.  I haven't touched it, other than to look to see whether it was on or not.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:01 PM

Just opened Windows Defender for this first time on AU.
l09LtCJ.png
lznrexA.png
Looks like the standard messages to me. It says that the real-time protection is handled by another Antivirus and even mentions it at the top.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:20 AM

No problem here running my Emsisoft Ant Malware on the Anniversary update.

Please see thread here which clears this up.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/windows-10-anniversary-update-third-party-av-solutions.387647/

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:12 PM

I have no issue after upgrading to Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

2016-08-07%2006_11_12-Control%20Panel_Al

Posted Image

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:57 PM

because Microsoft is going to recommend that you remove ESET (and any other 3rd-party antivirus), and keep their Windows Defender as a single product.

There is no way I am removing ESET.

I trust ESET in my opinion its a great product,  And I would like to thank the ESET team for giving me a activation key for free.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:35 PM

Well, it appears that the original statements from the ESET reseller are not substantiated based upon the follow-up posts here.

I have never seen Microsoft try to push out third party antivirus or security suites.  I had been using these on my Windows 10 machines but made the decision to go to Windows Defender on all of them entirely of my own accord.

I've worked on a lot of versions of Windows with a lot of different antivirus/security suites, and have never encountered an issue with them "playing well" together.

Edited by britechguy, 07 August 2016 - 09:35 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 chilote

chilote

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:14 AM

I want to keep my 3rd party antivirus program.  I don't want Windows Defender to interfere with it.  I looked, and Defender is turned off.  I haven't touched it, other than to look to see whether it was on or not.

It appears that when you have an antivirus, Defender is turned off automatically.

Now, the question is: what is better, a 3rd party antivirus program or Windows Defender?

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:52 AM

After upgrading to Windows 10 Anniversary Update Eset antivirus not recognized and Action Center will have notification about turning on Windows Defender this message can be turn off as Eset antivirus still functioning but not recognize by Security center.  Open Control Panel --> Security and Maintenance and click   Turn off message about virus protection. Maybe resetting the WMI Repository database the Winmgmt /verifyrepository command confirms there is no repository corruption but resetting the repository database may make Security Center recognize Eset Antivirus program but i myself not worried as i know ESET antivirus functions normally.

2016-08-08%2018_39_35-Control%20Panel_Al

Edited by FreeBooter, 09 August 2016 - 04:35 AM.

Posted Image

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:40 AM

I can confirm this is true. After the anniversary update it literally forced an uninstall of the antivirus suite on a splash screen prior to getting to the login screen. It also, said that it wouldn't work with the newer version. Complete lie. I installed the same version did a quick index update and it works flawless as it always has. I am shocked, but not as shocked to find out other things... The Windows 10 mail build 17.6965.41051.0 has a flaw and will not allow e-mail signature signed certs to be imported at all. I tried using pop3 and customized ways of creating an account and still nothing. It just says, No security features can be added to any of your accounts. Live e-mail (no longer supported by Microsoft) & Thundrbird can import the cert flawlessly from the certmgr.msc Microsoft is astounding.

Furthermore, I noticed they added some new services.. SSH Server Broker & SSH Server Proxy. They are apart of the new Ubuntu bash Microsoft added to Windows 10 you can install after enabling developer mode and adding it through Turn Windows features on/off. The disappointing thing about it is that both those services are set manually by default and still trigger running. So if you do a netstat -ba you can see it sitting there listening on port 22. I checked the antivirus nothing added to the firewall yet. Not sure if Windows defender does or not I didn't find out about SSH services till after I got the other firewall up and running. It's just amazing they leave it sitting there listening to port 22 telling you to uninstall your firewall. It runs even without the Ubuntu installed. So if a user never knew of this they wouldn't know to disable those services. Pointless to have them running & who knows if there are any security holes with it. I can just see it now. From my experience with Windows 10 so far and all the things I have encountered; It seems Microsoft doesn't give a rats @ss about your privacy or security.

Edited by technonymous, 13 August 2016 - 08:42 AM.

#14 gab3

gab3

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2016 - 04:49 AM

I have just a little note to add to the comments above. Immediately after the anniversary upgrade, it seems it may sometimes take a while for Windows to "notice" that there is another antivirus already running. I have Bitdefender antivirus. After the update I saw that Windows had turned Windows Defender on, and I was getting an alert saying I might not be protected. When I went to Settings to turn Windows Defender off, I saw a warning that I hadn't recently updated definitions or run a scan (with Windows defender). There was no indication in Settings that the system realized I had Bitdefender running.  When I turned off Windows Defender from Settings I saw a message saying that I could turn it off temporarily but if I left it off for a long time it would be turned back on again automatically! After seeing FreeBooter's post above, I went to Control Panel and turned off messages about virus protection. I noticed that in the Control Panel under Virus Protection it said something like "Neither Windows Defender nor Bitdefender are active". So, according to Control Panel, Windows knew Bitdefender was there, but didn't know it was running. However, some time during the past hour Windows finally detected it, and Control Panel now says "Bitdefender Antivirus is turned on." So my message is: don't panic. If you can see your other antivirus is running, turn off Windows Defender, turn off messages about virus protection if they are bothering you, and wait. At least that worked for me. I'm not sure whether or not turning off the messages about virus protection is a necessary part of this process.

#15 d5311

d5311

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:55 PM

Regarding Win10 v1607 (Anniversary):

Any one notice this: (sorry if this is a new subject, I am new)

Win10 IE11 UserAgent setting under v1511: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko

Win10 IE11 UserAgent setting under v1607: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)

And when I first boot up, Windows tells me I can't sue Bing Bar so I Uninstalled it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users