Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with windows updates not downloading

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lonnie0000

lonnie0000

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 05 August 2016 - 11:41 AM

I've been having some trouble downloading windows updates lately with Windows 7.  They hang at 0% downloaded and never move forward.   I used the Windows update troubleshooter to try to fix them, and it found various errors and it said they were fixed.  Though I'm still having the same exact problems.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:19 PM

If you do not have IE11 then install it. Install .NET 4.6.1

Download and install all updates and latest Update Client on this page.

http://wu.krelay.de/en/

You may find that the updates do not install. This is because the Windows Update Service has already started. You can either disable the service before installing the updates or reboot and immediately install the updates as the Update Service has a delayed start.

After you have done all updates and Update Client reboot and check for updates it could take a couple of hours or minutes.

If you still have trouble download the June rollup update and the prerequisite KB3020369 if that has not been installed.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:28 PM

I was having similar issue a couple of days ago.

I tried the troubleshooter...reset Windows Update service...reset IE...reset the Windows Update Agent...fooled around with the Win 7 registry entries per one suggestion...and so on, all for naught.  When I turned the system off yesterday, I could not even install any type of update, whether it was standalone installer or not.

This morning, I turn the system on...go to Windows Update and it reflects some update pending (probably one of the standalones that I tried).  I was shocked but the download/install proceeded as it should have.  I then saw that I had 90 critical updates awaiting some action...I downloaded/installed all 90 via WU, rebooted the system a couple of times when prompted...downloaded a couple of new critical updates/rebooted...downloaded a MS NET update/rebooted...and all is golden today :).

If I were to suggest anything...I would not know where to begin, sorry :).

There are a ton of topics in Win 7 dealing with Windows Update issues...you may want to do a search through those and get some ideas of how you might proceed.

Louis

PS:  My check for updates and total install time today was less than an hour.

Edited by hamluis, 05 August 2016 - 12:29 PM.

#4 vacuum tube

vacuum tube

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:16 AM

i also had update issues and turning the computer off that one time seemed to solve things with an over night off. that was about a month ago and it has been behaving okay as of late. i do have update set to let me decide when and what. 

#5 Aussie_Bob

Aussie_Bob

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:04 AM

The instructions by JohnC_21 (scroll up to post #2) worked perfectly. Thanks!  That's a huge headache solved.

Edited by Aussie_Bob, 23 September 2016 - 06:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users