Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(BLACK)SOD - cmptr starts in SM, but not SM w/ networking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kvon

kvon

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:33 AM

Hello,

The computer boots normally but won't get past the user login screen - goes to black screen w/ mouse.  ctrl-alt-delete gets you to the normal "switch user, logoff, start task manager etc" screen, but can't go anywhere from there.  Even shutdown doesn't work.

I CAN log into safe mode, but can NOT log into safe mode with networking.

How do I trouble shoot this?

I have tried - kill the explorer process & restart; uninstall the graphics driver.  No joy.

Any help appreciated!

Win 7 home premium machine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:00 PM

At work we do 2 things:

- attempt a System Restore to a point before this happened

- If that doesn't work, then we backup the data, wipe the hard drive, then reinstall Windows clean.

If you wish to troubleshoot the KSOD (Black Screen) issues further, be advised that:

- I have done this, and have spent weeks trying to fix them only to fail and have to wipe and reinstall

- there are so many different fixes that it's impossible to try them all.  Search Google for black screen or black screen of  death and you'll see

- in the old days (XP) this was a video issue.  Since Vista came out there are too many different drivers/programs that affect the display - and that's why it's so hard to figure out.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 kvon

kvon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:02 AM

Thanks usasma, the system restore point did it.

I noticed afterwards that the restore reverted to a point prior to installing several windows updates, which now show as not installed.  I recall seeing - somewhere during the online search for answers for this - that someone reported that a particular windows update might have caused it. I will re-install these updates 2-3 at a time (there's about 30 of them) and see if it reoccurs.

It also reverted - apparently - to before I fixed the problem with windows update, which now hangs on "downloading updates" for an hour or more before commencing the download/install.  Sigh...

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:39 AM

IMO - Windows Updates do not cause this.

Rather, there are likely some slight incompatibilities in older drivers that the Windows Updates react with - and that's what causes the problem.

Updating your drivers may fix this - as long as you update the one's that have caused it.

If you're unable to get the Windows Updates fixed, start a new topic with that in the title - hopefully it'll draw the attention of those experts.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users