Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

nVidia, AMD and Intel dropped support for Analog?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 antoniu200

antoniu200

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:24 AM

Well, I have just found out that Intel and AMD have dropped support for Analog signals. I knew that nVidia has dropped it, but I didn't know that Intel and AMD have too. So, I thought about a thing: since all these companies still support DVI-D, it may be a good idea to get a VGA->DVI-I adaptor (since it's very cheap), connect it to my VGA cable, and then connect a DVI-D cable to the adaptor. But will this work? I know that there are DVI-D to VGA adaptors, but the cost of doing what I said is less than buying that adaptor.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:53 AM

DVI-D doesn't have an analog VGA output on it, so no permutation of cable adapter can provide a signal to drive a VGA monitor, unless it has electronics to generate the required analog signal from the DVI.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:58 AM

Yes, I know that DVI-D doesn't have analog signal support on it. But is the VGA to DVI-I adaptor able to convert analog to digital?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:39 AM

You cannot convert an analog signal to digital. For a DVI-D card and a monitor with only a VGA port you need one the more expensive adapters with includes a USB power cord for the adapter. Does the monitor have a HDMI port?

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 August 2016 - 09:39 AM.

#5 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:05 AM

You cannot convert an analog signal to digital. For a DVI-D card and a monitor with only a VGA port you need one the more expensive adapters with includes a USB power cord for the adapter.

Well, I have an HDMI to VGA converter/adaptor and that, of course, converts digital to analog, without a USB power cord (only if the HDMI acts as USB). But, I understand, I have to buy another one of these. And I have another question, again, only noticed now, does nVidia still support Vista, or not? As I haven't seen any new updates since March.

No, the monitor has no HDMI cord. I guess you know the full name of my monitor, from my older threads. That monitor doesn't have any other cords other than VGA.

Edited by antoniu200, 05 August 2016 - 10:09 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:15 AM

Sorry, I am not familiar with your other threads. I doubt Nvidia would be updating any drivers for Vista as that OS has an end of life in April 2017. After that date there will be no additional security updates.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 August 2016 - 10:15 AM.

#7 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:52 AM

I don't care about the end of life. Then, if that's how things start to work with nVidia too, then I'll do what I did with AMD, try to install new drivers manually. Thanks for letting me know.

Edited by antoniu200, 05 August 2016 - 10:52 AM.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:00 PM

is the VGA to DVI-I adaptor able to convert analog to digital?

Not if it is a very cheap one that is used to pick up the VGA out on the DVI-I and send it to the VGA monitor. That one just makes the pin connections for the analog out that is already on the DVI-I output socket. For DVD-D you have to use the more expensive active converter.

Edited by Platypus, 05 August 2016 - 07:01 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:43 PM

Some news. I have downlaoded the latest version of nVidia driver and I tried to let it do its job, automatically. Surprisingly, the installer worked, without needing me to stay 1 hour and search for what I need to modify in the .inf or in other files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users