Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To Many Things Running@start

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 michael49er

michael49er

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:22 PM

I have about 44 things running @ start not real sure how to chane from automatic to manual??

help???

thank you michael49er :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:01 PM

Simple fix:

Open up your Start Menu, and click on Run.

In the box that appears, type msconfig, then look at the top to the very last tab (on the far right), where it says Startup. Click on that.

There you have every process and program that runs when you log onto Windows. Simply uncheck the things you don't want running when you first start-up. HOWEVER, be careful as to what you uncheck. Items such as security programs, mouse/keyboard programs, wireless objects, etc.... should probably remain enabled.

For future reference, most programs give you a choice whether to run them at logon or not. Check the options screens for the programs that boot in the beginning. Many of them have the "run at startup" option, or most ask you if you would like to run them at startup when you first install the programs.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 14 August 2006 - 11:01 PM.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:25 PM

If you do not know what you are disabling - don't do it.

If you are talking about 44 processes running - that isn't that many.
If it's startup programs, it would be a lot.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:52 AM

If you are unsure what any of the entries are or if they are safe to disable, then search one of the following Startup Databases:
Startup Programs Database
StartupList Index

MSCONFIG is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose system configuration issues. Although it works as a basic startup manager which allows you to enable/disable auto-start programs, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable startup programs. You should not use msconfig to disable startup apps related to a running service. Doing so alters the registry so it is always best to disable the service first. Further, msconfig does not allow you to completely remove an entry from the list. To do this you need a cleanup utility or startup manager like:

MSConfig Cleanup
Autoruns
Starter by CodeStuff

If you have have Spybot S&D installed, launch it, go to Mode and select Advanced. Then go to Tools, select System Startups. You will be provided with a list of programs that load when Windows starts. If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup. This will allow you to experiment and see how your system performs with them disabled. You can always go back and tick any of them to re-enable the startup entry.

Edited by quietman7, 15 August 2006 - 07:54 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 michael49er

michael49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:00 PM

Hi just wanted to say thank you

I managed to get a try out from In control startup manager it seems to be helpful
this program was about the only one I could get to load I've got more to learn
so I would be greatful for any more help

Thank You Again
Michael

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:00 AM

Your welcome. :thumbsup:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:20 AM

I recommend Startup Inspector instead of msconfig as it is easier to identify start items, connect them to the aps, and it doesn't change your startup mode if you aren't careful as msconfig does.

Startup Inspector (manages startup menu helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

Disable all programs that do not need to start when Windows starts, ie, Realplayer, Adobe or Adobe Reader, office or any of its components, cd burner aps, etc.
Make sure you do not disable your anti-virus ap, antispyware and anti-malware aps and firewall as well as any essential Windows processes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users