Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Year Round Schooling A Good Idea?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:20 PM

A local elementary school in my state wants to do a year round school. One school did it and the grade average of the students went from below average to average.

I think it would be a pain. Always in school. Yes you would have breaks and they say just as many if not more just spread out but I wouldnt like it. Im homeschooled now and like it better than school anyways.

What do you think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:51 PM

Several school districts in my state have gone to year round schooling. Several benefits that have been documented are a minimum of a 13% less absenteeism rate. A 12% drop at minimum in teen and juvenile related crimes in the communities which went to year round schooling. And the best part is, a minimumum 18% increase in overall test scores and 11% increase in High School graduation rates. It's only been in effect for about 3 to 5 years, so the effects are short term. The model is continuously being reviewed to see if this will be a long term gain and possibly adopted as a state mandate. As it stands now it is a school district choice if this will happen or not. The areas that are not expected to follow suit and or resist a state mandate are the agricultural areas. All in all some impassive numbers in some key indicators and quite a strong argument for year round schooling.

Be (Education is Power) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:43 PM

Yeah because the kids have no free time,always in school. If it happenes in more places I think a lot of kids will homeschool. I know I would.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:02 PM

The home schooling requirements in my state are quite high. Quite a few do not qualify to home school. And I can tell you for a fact that the vast majority of the metropolitan areas the family are a two income family. So there is not a parent or such to do the home schooling. Home schooling is a very limited option for most in my state. If it is an option for you, thats great, for many it's not.

Be (Hitting the Books) Safe

Da Bleepin, AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:05 PM

I like the idea of year round. I did it a few times taking special courses in summer during HS. I also took all my math and science courses when I went home for the summer in college. Subjects taken at Steven's Tech in Hoboken ,NJ were tranferrrable anywhere. But I think the all year with it's breaks would make kids (or all students) better learners. No more end of year lag. No more new year warm up from 2 + months off. I do know there are some logistics involved, that are locale defined, such as A/C and heating.
Here's an interesting Read
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:45 PM

Hi CGM3

A comment from a district who tried it in your state... Test scores did NOT improve. We tried that in the district I live in. Many people were excited because students would not be away for the summer - and therefore forget less over the extended time away. The actual results showed no improvement.

As of this year, schools returned to the traditional schedule.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users