Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do you prefer a Chromebook or Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stillanovice

stillanovice

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:56 AM

Wondering about the pros and cons of buying a Chromebook vs Laptop ... thoughts, ideas, opinions?

My budget is around $300 - $400.

What do you prefer?

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:08 AM

It depends on how you plan to use the computer. For basic email, browsing, and light program use I would go with a Chromebook but I would choose something less than $300. The OS on a chromebook is quite secure. Your chance of getting infected with Malware is very small.

If you are into gaming or are a heavy user of programs like Office then go with a standard laptop. For a regular laptop Staples, if you have one nearby, has some good Windows laptops on sale. This one is the same price as a cheaper chromebook.

http://www.staples.com/Dell-Inspiron-I5555-0012-15-6-AMD-A8-Processor-6GB-RAM-500-GB-Hard-Drive-Windows-10-Black-Notebook/product_2276190

#3 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:23 AM

It depends on how you plan to use the computer. For basic email, browsing, and light program use I would go with a Chromebook but I would choose something less than $300. The OS on a chromebook is quite secure. Your chance of getting infected with Malware is very small.

If you are into gaming or are a heavy user of programs like Office then go with a standard laptop. For a regular laptop Staples, if you have one nearby, has some good Windows laptops on sale. This one is the same price as a cheaper chromebook.

http://www.staples.com/Dell-Inspiron-I5555-0012-15-6-AMD-A8-Processor-6GB-RAM-500-GB-Hard-Drive-Windows-10-Black-Notebook/product_2276190

My Brother had a Chrome book and he switched to a Regular PC because the Chrome book could NOT run his 3D printing .exes, or any other .exe for that matter (things may have changed now)

but like JohnC_21 had mentioned, ChromeOS is like Linux, it's Extremely Difficult to get infected on you'd have to purposefully insert it.

if you're going for security go with the chromebook, if you want functionality go with a regular PC (of course if you want both just install *Nix on the regular PC)

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,588 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:32 AM

As far as I know, you still cannot run Windows programs on a chromebook easily. The Chrome OS is based on the linux kernel. There are workarounds like Wine but if you use Wine you may as well go with a Windows computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 August 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#5 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:32 PM

If you are doing even just a little more than basic web browsing and word processing, get a laptop. Otherwise a chromebook will suit you fine.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#6 SafetySteve

SafetySteve

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:32 PM

If the Chromebook fits your needs well, strongly consider that.

We have a powerful Windows 7 Desktop, (2) MacBook Pro's 13 inch, some refurbished Linux laptops, and an inexpensive Acer C720 Chromebook in our house.  The computer that is used the most is the Chromebook.  It starts up in 10 seconds, is secure, runs cool, and has a long battery life.  It meets our needs 80 percent of the time.

As I just turned 50 this year, I am now having some problems with the small display on the Chromebook.  The next one will have a 13-14 inch display.  

Chromebooks work exceptionally well for their intended purposes.  They are more secure than a Windows or Mac or standard Linux computer.  That is what we normally use for our banking, shopping, bill paying.  

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:51 PM

If you just do general web browsing and dont want PC gaming or office a chromebook is not a bad option.

Sure windows apps wont run but at the same time soon android is going to merge with chromeOS so the rumors go.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:32 AM

.the Chrome book could NOT run his 3D printing .exes, or any other .exe for that matter (things may have changed now)

No they have not, you still cant run a exe ( Windows software ) on a Linux based system.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 11:31 AM

.the Chrome book could NOT run his 3D printing .exes, or any other .exe for that matter (things may have changed now)

No they have not, you still cant run a exe ( Windows software ) on a Linux based system.

Looks like someone never heard of Wine :D

Though wine does have its drawbacks and doesnt work with everything

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users