Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cortana "Search Online & include web results" toggle has disappeared . . .

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:54 AM

. . . after the Anniversary update was applied.

I had set this to "Off" quite a while ago, and that choice was left intact, but I now have no idea where to point someone who wants to change Cortana back into a "plain old Windows search," which can be easily done by turning off "Get to know me" in the Speech, Inking, & Typing pane of privacy settings [this gets rid of the Cortana assistant] and switching off "Search Online & include web results."

When I try searching for "search online" in settings it still returns Cortana & Search settings but when that settings dialog is opened the toggle switch is nowhere to be found.

Does anyone have any idea where this is now set/unset or if this is a bug?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:25 AM

Hello Brian,

I am not sure if this is your issue but you may want to take a look at this PCWorld article. I'm not sure you can turn off Web Search in the Anniversary Update.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3100358/windows/you-cant-turn-off-cortana-in-the-windows-10-anniversary-update.html

Also here.

http://www.windowscentral.com/you-can-disable-cortana-windows-10

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,845 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:45 AM

John,

No, that's not my issue and, in fact, I really don't have an issue because the Anniversary Update did not change the behaviors for Cortana that I set the first day I started using Windows 10.  I have never used the PDA part of Cortana at all and I did not want web results returned when what I was trying to do was a plain Windows search, so I had toggled the setting mentioned in the subject of this thread off.

What I can't figure out is how to advise someone who wants to make sure that web results are not included in a Cortana search.  I know how to turn off the PDA feature via the "Get to know me"/"Stop getting to know me" button in System Settings, Speech, Inking, & Typing pane, but turning off searching online and including web results used to be an explicit setting in Cortana & Search settings, and now it's handled implicitly somewhere, but where?

Most of the time when I'm searching it's on file name alone and I don't even use Cortana, but have been using the Search Everything engine by voidtools.com.

Edited by britechguy, 04 August 2016 - 11:46 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:56 AM

Hi britechguy

Do you  want to reinstall Cortana if Cortana missing a setting i will give you the commands to reinstall Cortana if you like.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,845 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:04 PM

Freebooter,

That is not necessary as it is well documented now that this particular setting has been pulled from the Cortana & Search settings.  There's nothing wrong or unusual about what I'm seeing.

That still leaves the question unanswered as to whether one of the new Cortana & Search settings turns off online search and web results in Cortana searches as a part of it or if this is now a cascade effect from a setting one can set somewhere else.

I work with a lot of individuals who are blind or visually impaired and was able to tell them definitively how to set Cortana such that the PDA function was disabled and that returning web results was disabled either alone or in combination.  Now I don't know exactly how the latter is achieved and am wondering if someone has figured that out yet.

~ Lauren Bacall

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:10 PM

I thought you were talking about the setting at screenshot.

2016-08-04%2020_09_22-Store_zpsctynoz7u.

- Dalai Lama

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,845 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:16 PM

I am, and I've said, and will say again, that this setting has been removed as of the Anniversary update.  Take a look at the screen shots in the articles John_C21 posted.  This is what shows up now under Windows 10 Home 64-bit:

Attached Files

~ Lauren Bacall

#8 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:27 PM

Watching this thread with interest. I can't believe that setting has been removed, but it does seeem to have been, and to say that I'm, annoyed is a gross misunderstatment, as I use the typing on the start panel method of selecting apps and settings.

I can think of a way to say more without this post turning into a rant and having this thread banished to "Discussions" so, I'll shut up...

x64

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:36 PM

Well i don't have that update i wonder why any how  have a look at the search policy settings.

1. Press WIN+R keys together to launch RUN dialog box. Now type gpedit.msc in RUN and press Enter. It'll open Group Policy Editor.
2. Now go to:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Search

2016-08-04%2020_35_29-Local%20Group%20Po

- Dalai Lama

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,845 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:43 PM

gpedit does not exist on Win10 Home.  I have tried installing it and that triggered other issues, so I am unwilling to do a gpedit workaround again.

To x64, that setting has nothing to do with whether settings, apps, etc., show up in the Cortana search results because they always will and do still on my machine.  I use Cortana very much like you've described.  I also don't have online search results being returned, either, because I had them turned off prior to the update and that has not been undone.  But how the exclusion is now being triggered is a complete mystery.

~ Lauren Bacall

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:44 PM

If I'm reading this technet article right, you cannot turn off web search results in Cortana in Windows 10 Pro so I assume it's the same for Home.

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Search\Don't search the web or display web results

Specifies whether search can perform queries on the web and if the web results are displayed in search.

In Windows 10 Pro edition
This setting can’t be managed.

In Windows 10 Enterprise edition
Cortana won't work if this setting is turned off (disabled).

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,845 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:48 PM

John,

Regardless of what the article says, and I've already stated that the toggle switch for the setting is now gone, the exclude functionality still works and Cortana still works.

I can still do Cortana searches to my heart's content and all it's returning are results for stuff on my machine.  They even made what I think is an improvement in that once you've typed search criteria a small bar appears across the bottom allowing you to limit the search exclusively to Settings, Folders, Pictures, etc., which is really handy.  I get no web results, thank heaven!!

~ Lauren Bacall

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:54 PM

You don't need to add gpedit.msc console if you have Windows Pro you can use programs to watch which settings in registry is been modified by any policy settings.

You will then create a registry file to add the policy setting to registry.

Registry File
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\{272AC66E-51A4-46E2-8B22-CF34DAAC7DB3}Machine\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search]
"ConnectedSearchUseWeb"=-

Above registry file i have created using RegFromApp monitors the Registry changes made by the application that you selected, and creates a standard RegEdit registration file (.reg) that contains all the Registry changes made by the application. You can use the generated .reg file to import these changes with RegEdit when it's needed.

Above registry file will enable this Don't Search the web or display web results in Search policy setting, queries won't be performed on the web and web results won't be displayed when a user performs a query in Search.

- Dalai Lama

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,845 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:57 PM

FreeBooter,

I truly appreciate the effort, but I have already clearly stated that my personal context is Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

~ Lauren Bacall

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:04 PM

As i have said this policy setting or most of policy settings are store in registry there is no feature in Windows Pro that other don't have only feature is group policy editor that helps to set policies for the computers or computer the settings are implemented by Windows OS and programs why don't you try the registry file and restart the Windows and see it works i make lots of policy work on Windows edition that does not have group policy editor tool how do you think hacker can block Task Manager or Command Prompt been access on all editions of the Windows.

Edited by FreeBooter, 04 August 2016 - 01:04 PM.

- Dalai Lama

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users