Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Files In My Startup Tab Of Config Manaher

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Miles

Miles

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:57 PM

Hi,
I finally unpacked a brand new HP computer ordered on line 3 years ago distributed through Sam's Club.
I had no room in the home to set it up earlier, as my marriage was at stake, and a 6 WORKSTATION home office network was cluttering my home!! Any way I just hooked up the HP 794c computer with: cpu 3ghz, 1gb ddr ram 266, 250gb hard drive, Nvidia 128 mb video adapter, Tv capTure board, Audigy SB sound card by Creative, 17" lcd monitor, remote KB and Mouse, and a large bundle of preloaded software in this Win XP OS. $1600.00 on sale 5-2003 NEW!! GOOD price then??

Anway, my question has to do with some shaddy entries in the startup tab of the config. manager. I have deleted many, and have googled others and there is no convincing reason to uncheck them, also, or keep them. If you are familiar with just a few left, I would appreciate to get you advice on whether to keep these checked or unchecked and any other thoughts you may have.

Here are the ones: UPDREG, HPSYSDRV, UPDREG, MSASCUI, REGUARD, AND SGTRAY

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.

MILES

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:33 PM

Start by trying to identify the aps in question in our startup listings:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

Also, Use Startup Inspector to examine and manage startup entries as it identifies the programs they are connected with far better than does msconfig:

Startup Inspector (manages startup menu helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

Some of what you listed looks like HP proprietary aps - be careful what you disable and/or uninstall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users