Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Self-built Computer boots and shuts down into loop

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 potGrabbit

potGrabbit

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:53 AM

So I started an attempt to build my first Computer. After everything was setup I was getting ready for the initial turn on. The PC starts, LED and GPU light up and Fans start turning, but then shuts down about 5 seconds right after start. Then about 5 seconds later he restarts automatically, only to shut down again. This goes on and on until I cut the power supply. (he does not enter BIOS)

Does anyone know what this indicates and are there any suggestions about what I might have done wrong?

I already removed the GPU, and replaced the RAM slots (I use 2 RAM's and there are 4 Slots with 2 corresponding to each other, so I exchanged these), also removed the SATA slot for the drive, none of these alterations changed the result.

My guess is that the F-Panel is not propperly connected, however according to the manual it should be alright. Could it be a hardware issue?

I am using:

Intel I7-6700 CPU

Gigapyte Z170-SLi Mainboard

MSI 1070 GPU

Seagate 1TB HDD

Hyperx-Fury 240GB SSD

Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM (2x 16GB, DDR4)

Thanks for your help.

Edited by hamluis, 12 August 2016 - 03:53 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:43 PM

Check that CPU socket pins are not bent.

#3 potGrabbit

potGrabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:25 AM

Thanks for the answer. I checked the Socket, this is what it looks like.

http://imgur.com/a/emj0f

It does not seem like anything would be bent for me, what do you think?

Any further suggestions? Right now I think its either a defect in the PSU/ PSU-Cable or in the 24-Pin connector of the Mainboard.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:05 AM

Looks like no bent pins for me.

What PSU? Manufacturer and model?

#5 Stypher

Stypher

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:07 PM

When the computer boots up, look at the bios led on the motherboard and tell us what it does during the restarting cycle.

Another thing you can do first is maybe hard reset the CMOS on the board. follow the guide as follows and lets us know if that helps

http://www.howtogeek.com/131623/how-to-clear-your-computers-cmos-to-reset-bios-settings/

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:51 PM

Open the side of the case and pull off the power-on switch on the front panel cable where it plugs into the motherboard. Take a flat-bladed screwdriver and cross the two exposed contacts. The computer should power up and stay on.

If no joy, do the same thing with the reset button on the front panel.

Post back with the result.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 potGrabbit

potGrabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:37 AM

I got a new PSU today and the result stayed the same... (Coolermaster 650W)

So next thing was trying that screwdriver trick: I removed the power-switch, then made contact with the screwdriver. The computer powered on but fell into the same loop, also after I removed the screwdriver (till I cut power supply). Then I removed the reset switch - Computer did not power on (as expected tough^^). Then I removed the reset and the power switch and made contact to the power-switch pins via screwdriver: The computer powered on straight into the loop.

There is no LED on the motherboard going on when powering on. Only on the front panel I see the blue LED of the power button going on and off again. Also on the front panel below the Disk Drive there is a green LED flattering and then turning off. (I already checked it without Disk drive tough). 

--> So I assume the Front Panel is not an issue? What might be left?

I checked for the CPU Socket now, the PSU, the CPU-Cooler, double-checked all the cables, replaced RAM, removed all SATA-slots etc.

Edited by potGrabbit, 09 August 2016 - 10:03 AM.

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:19 PM

Quite unlikely CPU, both RAM sticks or two PSU's are broken. That leaves video card and motherboard. You already tried with integrated?

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:42 PM

At this point, I suggest a bench build as outlined here. You definitely will find your problem using this method. What puzzles me is not the fact that it will not boot and shuts down, but that it auto-restarts in a continuous loop. The bench build process is the only way to trace it down. I know that you already have everything mounted in the case, but if you have the mainboard naked on the outside that removes any possibility of shorting from metal contact with the case on the bottom.

I will say that for the computer not to boot when you have the start button connected, and the restart button not connected, is unusual. Whenever I do this test, I have never had a computer not boot up normally. The restart button should not even enter into the matter since it is only a temporary contact switch and is normally not active already (unless it is pressed). That makes me suspect a bad motherboard, OR possibly a bad reset button. I had a reset button fail on my present computer once and the computer did really crazy things until I disconnected it, but I cannot say for sure at this point.

There is no LED on the motherboard going on when powering on

Do you mean that there is no power LED on the mobo, or that there is an LED but it does not light when the computer is active in the reboot loop?

[EDIT]: I just want to add: don't let your return period expire for any components. I don't know where you purchased your parts from, but most of these retail businesses have a limited return date, so don't let it expire. After that you must deal with the manufacturer and you really want to avoid that, it can be very frustrating. For example, Asus has a policy of not exchanging a bad board for a new one, but supplying a "refurbished" mainboard, not a new one. And many manufacturers put you through a lot of hoops before they will do anything, and then you have to pay shipping to them on top of it all. Just a thought.

Edited by ranchhand_, 09 August 2016 - 02:50 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 potGrabbit

potGrabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:33 PM

So I finally got the PC up and running today!

After all the troubleshooting the motherboard really was the only thing left, and this was in fact the root of the problem. Now if you look reeeallly closely at the image I posted you will see a pin at the Bottom of the CPU socket, right in the middle, which is about 5° bent. Now I don't know if this caused the issue or whether there was another problem with the motherboard, however exchanging it solved the problem! Also my local seller refused to refund because of the bent cpu-socket but since its working now that's fine for me^^

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys! Apart from the frustration it was also quite a learning experience in troubleshooting which is nice. 

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated.

#12 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:20 PM

I did spot a bent pin on the first picture.  Near the bottom notch in the center, four rows up.  Little buggers have to be exactly straight or they don't make good contact.  I use a pin template before inserting any CPU chips, they get bent so easily.

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:59 AM

@ mjd420nova....could you expand on a pin template? Are these commercially available or did you mod something yourself?

#14 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:44 AM

The template is a solid metal piece that conforms exactly to what the pin configuration is for that CPU.  The chip is inserted and pressed into the plate.  This straightens any bent pins.  A spare CPU socket works too but they are usually plastic and can cause damage (as seen) rather than fix it.  Usually only board mfgrs have the templates as they are supplied by the CPU mfgr.

Edited by mjd420nova, 12 August 2016 - 10:44 AM.

#15 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:50 PM

Thanks. The biggest problem I have in straightening bent pins, is not so much straightening them-that take a ton of patience but eventually it works. Where I reach the impasse is when the pin starts rotating in the socket. IOW, it rotates around when pressure is applied instead of being bent straight again. I have no answer for that one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users