Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card not fully connected to the mother board

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Look_out

Look_out

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:37 AM

Alright i made a huge mistake. I recently got a new nvida gtx 1080 videocards. I though i had plugged it into the motherboard but there is literately no way for me to see if its all the way in. it take two 8pin power connects which were plugged in. My question is could I have caused damage to the card (or computer) by turning the computer on with the card not fully seated in the mother board? Everything seems fine now but I wanted to ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:32 AM

These cards are keyed in a fashion that make it darn near impossible to plug the card in the wrong way.  This means that the contacts that were being pressed into the socket where in the correct locations.  If it didn't seat properly it probably wouldn't have any effect.

What kind of problem are you experiencing when you try to use the card?

Does this computer have at least a 500W PSU?

What operating system are you using?

What is the make and model of this computer?

Were you using integrated graphics on the motherboard before trying this card?  If you were, remove the card and see if the integrated graphics is still working.

If you get the computer running with the integrated graphics please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by dc3, 04 August 2016 - 10:34 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Look_out

Look_out
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:51 PM

These cards are keyed in a fashion that make it darn near impossible to plug the card in the wrong way.  This means that the contacts that were being pressed into the socket where in the correct locations.  If it didn't seat properly it probably wouldn't have any effect.

What kind of problem are you experiencing when you try to use the card?

Does this computer have at least a 500W PSU?

What operating system are you using?

What is the make and model of this computer?

Were you using integrated graphics on the motherboard before trying this card?  If you were, remove the card and see if the integrated graphics is still working.

If you get the computer running with the integrated graphics please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear the card seems fine now that I installed it correctly. What happened was the card was actuall next to the plug (seat) and because of how large it was and how the end settled in the case it "seemed" to be seated but wasn't actually plugged in.

#4 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:50 PM

If it is working then you should be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users