Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to make sure about chkdsk issue, help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FeltioS10

FeltioS10

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:10 PM

WyuX7N1.png

As you can see, i ran chkdsk /r on hard drive which got some bad sectors and this is screenshot for last moment before i stopped chkdsk. i canceled chkdsk after ran some minutes because i heard run chkdsk /r on hard drive with bad sectors can lose data.

So according to this chkdsk prompt window screenshot, was that possible about that data was removed/fixed or anything changed by chkdsk? i am asking about that chkdsk could do something to data even no errors are found on prompt window.

Actually i MS support engineer gave same this answer.

"From the above description I understand that you were able to cancel the chkdsk program within 3%. usually chkdsk command examine all the files and then start the fixes. However in this case you wouldn’t have lost any data."

So, i thought i need verify that answer i got, so i had additional question.

My question was...

"If chkdsk finds error/corrupted/any kind of problem while running, is it strictly + immediately shows messages on prompt window? or possible to miss to show messages on window about what chkdsk did to data?"

And i got this answer from another place.

"When chkdsk finds a bad sector, it momentarily flashes a message like "recovering sector xxxx" while in stage 4. Did you see a message like this? If not, then your data has not been altered."

So on... i think i should make conclusion now.

For that, i just found these messages about stage 4 on chkdsk from somebody's log.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 2813
of name $PATH1.MKV.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 2863
of name $PATH2.MKV.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 2881
of name $PATH3.MKV.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 2891
of name $PATH4.MKV.

or

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xb2b4000 for 0x10000 bytes.
A disk read error occurredc0000185
The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters
detected in file 73702 of name \PROGRA~1\WI7DB9~1\MIE81F~1.0_X\MRT100~1.DLL.

I didn't see any kind of reports ↑ while chkdsk is running (as my screenshot exactly showing)

I wonder these messages are messages that he mean "recovering sector xxxx" or he was meaning another kind of messages?

Any messages like these are not written on my chkdsk prompt window but i do not remember some message was 'momentarily flashes' on chkdsk prompt window while chkdsk was running.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So plus according to my screenshot, MS support engineer's answer "However in this case you wouldn’t have lost any data." is 100% right?

In other word, Are data clearly untouched and sectors are not remarked by chkdsk in my case(in screenshot)?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:17 PM

Not too sure about that. When I suspect a HD failure, I don't use chkdsk for this reason: It could result in loss of data. Instead, I use Seatools which doesn't try to repair when it detects a bad sector. But before you do that, I suggest to BACKUP all your data

Download SeaTools here

Install it

If you are using a laptop, plug it in

Now, open SeaTools

Read the agreement, and click I agree if you agree otherwise skip the rest of this.

To find your main drive, check mark one of the drives that you want to check, and click on Basic Tests > Drive Information

Use the Drive Capacity to find if the current disk is your bootable disk

Now click Close, and go back to Basic Tests

Do Short Generic Test and Long Generic Test

(It could take a lot of time, so I suggest that you run the Long Generic Test overnight)

If either of these tests fail, let us know (it will mean that your hard disk is failing)

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:25 PM

FWIW:  SeaTools (any version) is not a tool for repair...it's a hard drive diagnostic, concerned with the overall current health status of the drive.

Chkdsk /r is a Windows tool, provided as the only tool which will attempt to recover data files which may lie on bad sectors.  Key word is "attempt".

Running a hard drive diagnostic may result in damage to a hard drive...but a diagnostic does not do anything to a given bad sector, whether it has data on it or not.  A HD diagnostic will mark and later remap around any bad sectors, regardless of whether data files are on them or not.  Until that section of the drive is reformatted, there is nothing to be done other than mark it.

Chkdsk /r tries to be proactive and recover any data found on bad sectors.  This can result in lost/damaged files...but the data lying on bad sectors would be lost completely if someone reformatted the drive to get rid of the bad sectors.

If a hard drive is failing...I'm not smart enough to at which point it's going to go belly up.  Any use of the drive could potentially make it go "tilt".

The safe thing to do (IMO) is, as suggested by CKing...is to try to backup whatever data is currently capable of being copied/transferred...then fool around with the prospect of running either/both chkdsk /r and/or a hard drive diagnostic.

Louis

#4 FeltioS10

FeltioS10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:11 AM

Seems nobody interested in giving answer to be exact about this 'issue' on last post.

So i just re-writing up new thread with question as more simply.

451zk8g.png

This is the screen just before exiting chkdsk. There were bad sectors on the disk. In that case some files, I heard, could be deleted when chkdsk is executed with /r switch, so I turned it off in haste. As you see, chkdsk didn't leave any messages that it deleted or modifed something. Still could there be any files already deleted? When I checked it out after the terminaton no found.xxx folder or chk file was found.

It is said that there could be losses in the data recorded on the sectors marked as bad in the recovery process using /r switch. What I'd like to know is if there could be any possibility that when the job occurred it proceeded without leaving any job history on the prompt screen.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 06 August 2016 - 08:49 AM.
Merged duplicate topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users