Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Onboard Video + Video Card Working Together

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brightshininglights

brightshininglights

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:27 PM

i was just wondering that if one had onboard video with one port and a video card with 2 ports, if he could have 3 monitor support? what i mean is, could he use both cards at the same time? does dual video cards or dual sound cards work? i'm pretty sure that the dual cards work, but i'm just checking.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:11 PM

No its not possible, when you have the AGP (or PCI-e) video in the slot, the BIOS automatically disables the onboard to prevent damage to the motherboard.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 brightshininglights

brightshininglights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:51 PM

what of audio? same deal?

#4 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:09 PM

It's not exactly the same, I don't know about all motherboards but I know that on most you must disable the onboard sound in the BIOS and uninstall all onboard sound drivers to correctly use a dedicated sound card. Not doing so can cause corrupted sound or no sound at all. Basically it's just all-round not recommended.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users