Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB 3.0 Ports

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Robyn53

Robyn53

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:43 PM

I have a Dell 3847 less than two years old.  It has two (2) 3.0 USB Ports on the back.  My son uses one of them to run his Seagate external hard drive because performance is better than with a 2.0.

However earlier today when we were plugging in a new device, I noticed the Seagate USB plug was really loose like it was coming unplugged.  When I went to plug it in it just fell out with the blue piece that is  inside of the plug in the tower.  It just broke off. So now you can't plug anything into it and the second port refuses to recognize a device, so now we have two 3.0 ports that do not work.

Dell says that it is not covered under warranty (they cited INDUCED DAMAGE) what????? and said I have to buy a new motherboard. They said the ports are integrated on the motherboard and cannot be replaced singularly.   I personally don't want to pay $400.00 FOR A NEW MOTHERBOARD for a $400.00 COMPUTER.

1)  Does anyone here have enough expertise to offer me another solution?

2)  Is there an external device with 3.0 USB ports that I can hook up to this tower?

3)  If  there is, how would it connect to the tower and  to the Seagate?  I can't plug anything external into the tower via the 3.0 because neither one of them work. 

He runs all of his computer games from the Seagate and right now it will work with a 2.0 port but works better with the 3.0 and  I would like to find a fix for him in case he uses something else that works better with a 3.0 port.

I would like some good advice on another alternative because I can't believe such a small issue requires such an expensive fix.  

thanks to anyone here who can offer me any solid advice.

Robyn

Edited by Robyn53, 03 August 2016 - 06:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:06 PM

I think at this point you would need to purchase a PCIe USB 3 card. When you open the computer first pull your power plug and then hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Remove the side panel and touch some bare metal of the computer. 

Here is your page for manuals which should help on adding the card. The manual states you have two PCIex1 slots. You could install one of these. It would give you 4 USB3 ports.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166038&cm_re=usb_3.0_pci_card-_-15-166-038-_-Product

or this. These are examples. You may find a local source.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815114010

#3 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:12 PM

Sounds like dells issue unless it was done on purpose.

Depending on where it broke off(eg, if the connectors are still on the board ) it might be saveable,

and even if it wasn't saveable, you would NOT need a new mobo, like JohnC_21 had said, you can buy a PCIe card.

or for roughly $60 tops you can replace the ports (remove old ports and solder on new ones.)

Also, Running games off an External HDD is the BEST way to kill the drive faster. it's not designed to have games run off of, it is designed for backing up files.

Especially if it's a BUDrive. eg Seagate Backup Plus.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#4 Robyn53

Robyn53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:19 PM

JohnC_21:

Thank you so much.   I have been a Dell loyal customer for 20+ years but today they really were of NO HELP and I wasted and hour and a half listening to what I didn't want to hear. :devil:

You addressed my issue professionally and it is exactly what I was hoping I could do. :bananas:   I recently put an Nvidia graphics card on his computer and it looks similar.  I don't see any problems and will proceed with your expert advice.

Thank you again. :bounce:

Robyn

#5 Robyn53

Robyn53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:26 PM

Viper Security:  

I was not aware that running games from a Seagate would kill a drive; he and many of his friends have been doing that for years and we personally have never had to replace a drive so I am at a loss as to what to say about that.  

I guess we could install another internal hard drive to give him more hard drive space specifically for his games???  He has an empty slot.  Would that be a reasonable thing to do?

Anyway, the blue part on the inside of the connector on the tower is what broke off and the port next to it wouldn't recognize his Seagate. 

thank you for your advice, I will probably install another hard drive for him just to run his games. 

Robyn

#6 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:15 AM

It will kill the drive much much faster if a game is played off it (of course there is a lot of factors, like which games, if they are standalone games he should be fine, but if they require an install path, might cause some problems)

i bought a 250GB SSD for like $60 and i've been playing my games off of it, and my TB Segate holds all my data.

and im baffled at where the usb port broke, i've never see n the blue/black/white part  fall off, was always the casing (the silver), im curious, could you possibly upload a picture of the USB ports?

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#7 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:40 AM

and im baffled at where the usb port broke, i've never see n the blue/black/white part  fall off, was always the casing (the silver), im curious, could you possibly upload a picture of the USB ports?

I am not surprised at all, not when children are involved. I worked at a school and saw a lot of damage that makes you say "How the f--, how did they do that!??!?!"

To the OP: Dell and most manufacturers will not cover damage to USB ports like that. Physical damage like that is common in computers, especially when children are involved. Dell, like other manufacturers, do not warranty for damaged caused by the user, only faulty hardware or a mistake made by them.

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:42 AM

Another question: Why run the games from an external? Performance and drive life is greatly increased by keeping the disk internal. External is meant for mobility and backups, typically. I google'd your computer, it should be able to fit another drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users