Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help, USB drivers uninstalled, keyboard and mouse don't work

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 deskvor

deskvor

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:59 PM

I have a big problem with my USB ports. I uninstalled USB drivers and devices in device manager after following instructions from a an article on Microsoft's site. Now the keyboard and mouse don't work and I can't do anything. The USB ports work fine in BIOS. They *don't* work in safe mode, and they *don't* work after selecting "repair my computer" or whatever it's called. I've been searching the internet extensively and found no satisfying solutions. In fact I'm becoming really nervous that I messed something up for good after reading somewhere that deleting the host controllers makes the USB ports unrecognized by the motherboard. I have a single PS2 slot and will buy a mouse tomorrow, but I still don't know what I have to do to fix the USB problem even if that mouse works. :'(

HELP! :o

EDIT: Windows 7,AsRock H97m Pro4 mobo, Intel 3.0 USB drivers previously installed.

I think I deleted the root hub and the host controller

Edited by deskvor, 03 August 2016 - 06:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:22 PM

You can try running windows update.....it may have the drivers.....

or...can you do a system restore ?

or....is there any chance that you have a backup on an external hard drive...?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:26 PM

Along with what Condobloke suggested make sure your mouse and keyboard are not in any blue USB 3 ports. Attach them to the black USB 2 ports and reboot. You may have deleted your USB 3 drivers.

#4 deskvor

deskvor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:02 PM

Along with what Condobloke suggested make sure your mouse and keyboard are not in any blue USB 3 ports. Attach them to the black USB 2 ports and reboot. You may have deleted your USB 3 drivers.

I knew I forgot to write something; yes I had tried plugging the periphery in all the different ports. I told you I've searched the internet for a solution already. I can't do a system restore because the mouse and keyboard don't work after the post screen. I don't really need to back anything up as I had just done a fresh install of windows the day before. Assuming I get a PS2 mouse to work, what do I need to do to get the USB devices to work again if we assume everything in device manager regarding USBs was uninstalled? I want to avoid reinstalling the OS. Is it possible that it's permanently damaged even though the keyboard and mouse work in BIOS? I've done all the commonly suggested solutions except cutting the power and waiting a few hours; I'll see what happens in the morning.

It's ridiculous that they suggest uninstalling USB devices when something like this could happen. There's absolutely nothing I can think of to gain control except getting a PS2 mouse. I don't have remote desktop set up so that's a no as well. What would people without a PS2 port do?! It's basically inextricable, this makes no sense.

Someone just tell me how to get the host controller and root hub and all the others working again when I do manage to get the mouse working. Thx

Edited by deskvor, 03 August 2016 - 08:10 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,272 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:23 PM

I don't think your ports are damaged. You can confirm by download a linux distro like Fatdog64. Burn the iso to disk or use Rufus with a USB flash drive. Boot to the desktop. You should mouse and keyboard should function if on USB 2 though I believe the kernel of Fatdog also has USB 3 support.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/      Fatdog64-702.iso

Note: If you have a WIndows 7 System Repair Disk that would allow you to do a System Restore. It will have your USB 2 drivers. It can be created on any Windows 7 computer so if you have a functioning Windows 7 computer create the disk and do a System Restore. If you do not have a Windows 7 computer available you can use a Windows 7 install disk and at this window select repair computer.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/

If your PS2 mouse works you can click the clock icon in the lower left at your login screen and select use onscreen keyboard. 

new_on_screen_keyboard_concept_by_satouk

#6 deskvor

deskvor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:24 AM

Is there a way to restore the drivers from within windows if I get the mouse to work? I need to reinstall the host controller drivers, I don't know what I'm looking for though - the Intel USB drivers?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,272 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:41 AM

I am hoping a System Restore with fix your USB problem. If not then I would go to device manager in an admin account and at the top the tree select your computer and then Action, Scan for Hardware Changes. Hopefully it will reinstall your USB hubs. 

If not you may need to do a repair install using a Windows 7 install disk.

#8 deskvor

deskvor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:58 PM

I am hoping a System Restore with fix your USB problem. If not then I would go to device manager in an admin account and at the top the tree select your computer and then Action, Scan for Hardware Changes. Hopefully it will reinstall your USB hubs. 

If not you may need to do a repair install using a Windows 7 install disk.

I got a PS2-USB adapter because I couldn't find a mouse anywhere and it worked (and it was better cause it didn't cost me anything). I just downloaded the Intel USB drivers for my motherboard and rebooted. There was a UAC prompt after every reboot which was annoying - it turns out I should've unblocked the zip file that contained the drivers before extracting and installing. So that's it, in case anyone stumbles here and looks for a solution.

How I would've handled it had it not been for a PS2 port on my mobo will forever remain a mystery. Thanks for your time!

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,272 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

Thank for taking the time to post your solution. Glad you got it sorted out. I am curious as to how USB2 was also restored. Those are native to the Windows 7 install disk. Did you download both USB 2 and 3 drivers?

#10 deskvor

deskvor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:56 PM

I honestly have no idea what happened. I have the following in device manager:

Generic USB hub 2x
Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller
Intel USB 3.0 root hub
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB host controller 2x
USB root hub 2x

I uninstalled one by one until the keyboard and mouse stopped working; I'm not sure but I don't think I got past the Intel ones. Why the USB 2.0 ports didn't work is beyond me. I downloaded the 3.0 drivers from As rock's website and everything worked again, including the 2.0 ports. Perhaps it has to do with the USB settings in BIOS? There's something about Intel management in there, I can't remember exactly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users