Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I pushed dust inside of this and I don't know what it is?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Zumbach

Zumbach

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:27 PM

It's connected to the Mobo, is it safe to use or should I clean it out somehow? And if so how do you recommend I do it?

Attached Files

Edited by Zumbach, 03 August 2016 - 05:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zumbach

Zumbach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:30 PM

I can provide more pictures if needed.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,767 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:11 PM

What plugs into it??  It is a connector on the MOBO to what?  Just conductors but need to be clean, can cause faults if allowed to build up much more.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:14 PM

G'day Zumbach, and Welcome to BC

Read the info at the link I have provided carefully.

Perhaps there is no need to follow all the instructions there....however if at all possible, it would be strongly recommended that you move the pc tower outside, and blow it clean with a can of air...maybe more than one can.

Be aware, you will create quite a dust cloud !....so be mindful of washed clothes on a line....etc etc....

Pay attention to the electrical Precautions and the static precautions.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

NB....do not use a vacuum cleaner

Edited by Condobloke, 03 August 2016 - 06:14 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 Zumbach

Zumbach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:17 PM

It is the pink port.

Attached Files

#6 Zumbach

Zumbach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:38 PM

Update: I decided to blow the thing and just plug it in. Cya'll later thanks!

#7 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

For anyone who is curious: pink port is a legacy paralel port used for old printers.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,551 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:18 PM

At the risk of going slightly off topic, Condobloke said - in large red letters - 'Don't use a vacuum'.

I have seen this advice offered before on BC and I am wondering if there is a theoretical explanation as to why this is supposed to generate static electricity. I do know that on occasions I have taken my desktop outside for cleaning and I have used a vacuum especially for loose 'fluff' inside the case.As far as I know I have not yet done any damage - maybe I have been lucky.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,633 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:31 PM

This is one of the better explanations I found. 

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:31 PM

FWIW:  I think that adage...belongs in the same category as "update your drivers always" and "update your BIOS", "wear a  and such.  At one time, someone said such and it was repeated (without testing the veracity or appropriateness) and it's repeated by some today.

I've never tried it myself...only because I find that canned air costs considerably less than I even care about and it does the job for me.

Opinions Vary.

More Opinions

Louis

#11 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:32 PM

I have seen this advice offered before on BC and I am wondering if there is a theoretical explanation as to why this is supposed to generate static electricity. I do know that on occasions I have taken my desktop outside for cleaning and I have used a vacuum especially for loose 'fluff' inside the case.As far as I know I have not yet done any damage - maybe I have been lucky.

Same here. I just stopped after I read that on the forums.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,633 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:38 PM

In the link I provided it talks about the triboelectric effect caused by dust passing over the plastic nozzle and tube of a vacuum creating a static charge. 

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:03 PM

For the people I help, I never recommend using a vacuum cleaner because I do not know how they are going to use it

As a vacuum or as a blower

Are they standing on a rug or are able to create static somehow.

One time at one of my friends house who had cleaned out his computer with a vacuum cleaner he called me to see if he did a good enough cleaning job as he definitely vacuumed over and over until it was spotless and was proud of what a great job he did.

--- When I got to his house, I had brought a can of electronic grade canned air and showed him how to use it.

--- Then I had him start the computer in case there would be any problems of starting up possibly due to static or anything else.

--- Fortunately it turned out fine. 

I believe in Luis post #10.

Note I mention electronic grade canned air.

I've seen compressed air tanks used and a lot of moisture coming out of them.

I worked as an electroplater of electronic components and even once the parts were sealed so that the die were encapsulated, we were not allowed to clean them with compressed air tanks.

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:18 PM

I picked this up from a much respected BC Advisor...

MrBruce1959   (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/u/403394/mrbruce1959/)

My Career Involves 36 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician,.....I often find do-it-yourself computer geeks clean their computers with vacuum cleaners made for household cleaning and high pressure air compressors intended to be used for a....

....and I cannot for the life of me find the rest of his admonishment.....to fully explain the reasons why

However, his advice was always sound...so I have made it a rule/habit of mine and have advised others accordingly

Edited by Condobloke, 05 August 2016 - 06:19 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,633 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:40 PM

Note I mention electronic grade canned air.

I've seen compressed air tanks used and a lot of moisture coming out of them.

I worked as an electroplater of electronic components and even once the parts were sealed so that the die were encapsulated, we were not allowed to clean them with compressed air tanks.

I agree about using an air compressor. If it doesn't have a good water filter on it I would not use it. Where I used to work they used shop air to clean out the computers but we had a very high end moisture filter used for the CMM.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 August 2016 - 06:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users