Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows BSOD on Startup

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Trojandave

Trojandave

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:45 PM

I am running Windows 10.  When I turn my computer on I immediately get a BSOD.  I cannot boot into safemode, either.

I have read the forums and tried running SFC /scannow, but and I got the following response: "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation"

I then tried using DSM with "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" but was given Error 50, "DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /online option"

Then I tried "dism /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:D:\" which had a status bar, but after it completed the SFC /scannow gave me the same error as above.

(I am not entirely sure what build if windows 10 I have, I assume the most up to date since this problem just happened a few days ago.  I created the recovery disc from Microsoft's website, so ideally they match...  Is there a way to double check the build type from the command prompt, in case that's the issue?)

I have also tried booting to a USB windows disc, hoping to "upgrade" windows as a way of fixing it without losing data.  This did not work - it told me I cannot upgrade if I booted off of the USB but need to boot from the harddrive. (Of course I can't do that.)

I just paid a licensing fee for a piece of software that I will have to pay for again if I cannot save the computer.  I really want to fix the windows install and re-installing or resetting where I would lose data is my last option. Does anyone have advice on how to save the windows install?

(In a second question, I have a samsung laptop with a samsung SSD.  Is there a chance the harddrive is corrupt instead of the windows install?  Unfortunately samsung BIOS will not let me run a harddrive diagnostic.  Is there a way to run the diagnostic from the command prompt, or another method?) 

Edited by Trojandave, 03 August 2016 - 04:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:21 PM

Hi

The way you are running SFC doesn't work like that:

In Command Prompt in Recovery Environment, type notepad and press enter

Go to FileOpen

Go to your hard disk and remember the letter

Close notepad and in command prompt, type this command:

sfc.exe /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

Where c is the letter of your hard disk

Does it work now?

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 Trojandave

Trojandave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:45 PM

Thank you for the quick response.

The notepad trick seemed to show Boot Drive as X and Local Disc as C.  When I ran SFC with X in both places where you had C, I was told "the arguments passed to sfc are invalid.  The offline windows directory specified points to the online system." 

I just ran it again with C in both places where you have C and SFC ran.  It said "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."  But it did not fix the problem - I still can't boot past the BSOD.  I have a CRITICAL_SERVICE_FAILED error like usual.

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:46 PM

X drive is your disk, so you can ignore that. Beyond that, I will let the BSOD experts take a look at this. They can help you fix this better than I can :)

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:10 AM

I presume that you are running SFC and DISM from the command prompt in the recovery environment.  Is that so?
And you're not able to boot to Windows?

X: drive is a RAM drive started by the recovery environment when it boots. It exists only in the RAM, and is not associated in any way with a hard drive.  That way the hard drive is free to have repair operations performed on it (if it booted from the hard drive, the hard drive would be locked from having repairs done while it was in use.)

In general, if you have a UEFI device (this is usually the case in a system that came with W8 or later installed), then you won't be able to boot to a drive testing software unless you change settings in the UEFI (disabling Secure Boot and enabling Legacy/CSM support).

OTOH - you can boot from a disk such as the Ultimate Boot CD (or any other device that is UEFI compatible) and can run a disk diagnostic utility from there.
I have a PE mode disk that can do this - but it's over 700 mB in size - a very large download. 

You can also boot to MemTest86 (NOT MemTest86+) in UEFI - and can test your RAM using that method.

Those 2 diagnostics are essential.  But, if this is the system with an SSD, a hard drive diagnostic won't offer much information on that.
In most cases the only available diagnostics for SSD's are the SMART attributes (which aren't awfully accurate).

Beyond that, you may be able to access your C: drive and copy files.

If that is so, copy the contents of the C:\Windows\Minidump directory.

Then zip them up and upload them to your next post here.

Checking the C: drive will tell you if the file structure seems intact.

If the files are intact and the system doesn't boot after running Startup Repair - then the next step is a RESET with the Keep My Files option.
This may remove some programs, but should allow you to boot into Windows.

But, if the damage is too severe, you may have to resort to a RESET using the Remove Everything option.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Trojandave

Trojandave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:42 AM

Thank you. And you are correct, I can't load windows at all and am accessing the command prompt from recovery. And yes, the system has an SSD.

So just to confirm, you don't believe there is any way to save this current windows install? That the only option is to reset or reinstall and lose programs?

If I reset or reinstall I'll be able to run diagnostics from Windows. But the problem is I'll lose the license I've paid for. My important files are all backed up, I'm not worried about them. I really just don't want to pay for a new license so I'm hoping to save this windows install. But if you dont think that's possible, I suppose I'll just have to prepare to buy the software again.

If I can save windows I'd love to try. But if I do have to bite the bullet and reset or reinstall, do you know of a way to get my product keys from the command prompt?

Thank you again for your help!

#7 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:47 AM

Not really. First off, copy the minidump folder if you can. To do so:

In Recovery Environment, open Command Prompt
In command prompt, type notepad and press enter
Go to FileOpen
Go to your USB and remember the letter. (We can't use notepad to copy over the minidump folder because it doesn't show hidden files :()
Then, close notepad
In command prompt, type these commands:

md e:\minidump
copy c:\windows\minidump\* e:\minidump

Replace e with the letter of your flash drive

On another computer, zip up the minidump folder on your USB and attach it

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#8 Trojandave

Trojandave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:47 PM

Ok, I did a reset and was able to save my data, but programs were lost (as we expected.)  I have a Samsung SSD and am using Samsung Magician - all SMART categories seem fine since they say "OK."  Are there certain tolerances or values I should be looking for, outside of the "OK"?  And is there anything else I can do to verify the SSD?

I ran memtest and it froze at the end of pass 2 of 4, during test 13 (hammer test).  There were no errors found, but it did say "RAM may be vulnerable to high frequency row hammer bit flips" twice (one for each pass) before freezing.  Any idea what this warning of the freezing means?  I plan to run the test again...

#9 Trojandave

Trojandave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:32 PM

On the second attempt I had basically the same result --> the MemTest froze again on pass 2, this time on test 10.  (Each freeze was about 2 hours into the run.)

Any idea what this means, or further steps to take?  Thanks you

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:57 PM

If able to get into Windows, run Prime95 ( http://www.carrona.org/prime95.html )

The Blend test tests mostly RAM, the other tests (Small FFT's and Large FFT's) test other components - primarily memory controller and CPU cache

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Trojandave

Trojandave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:16 PM

Edit: The blend has run for 2 hours and no freezing or errors so far. I'll let it go throughout the night and report back in a few hours

Edited by Trojandave, 08 August 2016 - 12:03 AM.

#12 Trojandave

Trojandave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:43 AM

12 Hours of the Blend Test with no errors at all.  I'll run small and large FFTs next

#13 Trojandave

Trojandave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:16 PM

Ok Prime95 Test has been complete.  Each test was run for 9-12 hours with no errors at all.

• Blend Test:  12 hours with no errors
  • Small FFTs:  12 hours with no errors
  • In-place Large FFTs:  9 hours with no errors

Any further thoughts?  And thanks again

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:48 AM

Let's see what CKing123 has.  I mainly responded due to the MemTest freezing problem.

The steps for the freezing problem are:

- to try the sticks in different slots

- to try different sticks

- to try another motherboard.

#15 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:38 AM

I was waiting for usasma, because he is the BSOD expert :)

Anyways:

RAM may be vulnerable to high frequency row hammer bit flips

This is referring to a vulnerability: http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/03/cutting-edge-hack-gives-super-user-status-by-exploiting-dram-weakness/

Unfortunately, it is a hardware vulnerability, so there isn't much you can do to protect yourself :(

-CKing

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users