Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Solved Partition Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:51 PM

Ah, finally...discovered a means to delete those pesky partitions that has been a hindrance to me. Although, like an idiot, I realized the reason why the boot disk on a CD wasn't working. I didn't burn it as an image file. Well, now I know, lesson learned.

That said, I wanted to delete those partitions that Dell put on the hard drive, so there was nothing but one partition and all the hard drive space it could offer. This may be helpful for those who are struggling with the same problem I did, but I found that the simplest and fastest way to take care of the problem was to completely delete everything on the hard drive, including the partitions, using a DOS program called Killdisk. This will definitely remove any unwanted partitions you may have, thereby allowing you to create new partitions, if you wish.

There's a free and commercial version available, feel free to check it out

http://www.killdisk.com/

Really helped me out, thank God. Now I can sell the sucker on eBay.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:42 PM

One of the partitions you may have deleted was the Dell Restore Partition which should not have been deleted.

It is used to restore Windows if you have a serious corruption problem.

If you didn't get the Windows XP Installation cd with your computer (a for charge option), I would suggest you contact Dell Support and buy one immediately so you can restore Windows WHEN the need arises - which it eventually will.

Why did you perceive you were having a problem with the fact that Dell installed a partition on your hard drive?

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:17 AM

No no, I WANTED to delete that partition, it was hogging hard drive space (4 gigs). Besides, we're selling it used on eBay and I wanted to have nothing on it except the base operating system with installed drivers and let whoever buys it customize it to his/her taste.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users