Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to eradicate all traces of google photos?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pearguy

Pearguy

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:18 PM

Hi All

With over 250GB of my daughter's childhood in movies and moments I signed up to google photos to backup, as one of my two externals seems to have failed.

Had nothing but issues with google pitures, deadly slow, couldn't use pc whilst uploading, worst of all, every image I clicked in XP's 'My Pictures' was auto-uploaded, even if I only wanted to copy it to a stick. 

I uninstalled the program using Windows 'Add Or Remove' but it's still there, and I cannot control it in any way. The 'uninstalled' google pics continues to operate and refuses to respond to any commands. I want it 100% gone, in every imaginable way, permanently. 

Any help gratefully received.

PS, I've googled  and DuckDuckGo'd this with every possible phraseology, found zero useful help. Almost all 'hits' pertain to phones, Androids etc. I use an old tower pc, desktop monitor, XP and Lubuntu loaded. Currently in XP.

Thanks again in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 03 August 2016 - 06:19 PM.
Moved from XP to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:22 PM

From what I have read you would need to reinstall Photos and make sure in Settings “Back up & sync” Is disabled. Then uninstall the program again. 

This article talks about Photos and Android but I believe the same holds true for Windows. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 August 2016 - 06:23 PM.

#3 Pearguy

Pearguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:33 AM

Hi JohnC

And thanks as usual. I'll give it a try but you're right, every article I encountered so far makes no mention of pc, just phones and Androids.

I'll check out the article you linked but would re-installing really work? Google Pictures is still somehow on my pc and being a real nuisance, I'd hate to reinstall only to find that I then had two of it..

Taking a break from the other issue for a bit while I try to learn enough to be able to follow advice.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:55 AM

The only thing would be the setting that you need to disable, Back up and Sync, allows you to fully delete the program.

Another thing you may want to try. Download Revo Uninstaller Pro. (30 day free trial) You can install a program and have Revo log everything a program adds to the computer. Revo basically takes a snapshot of everything Photos adds to computer and reverts it so you have a total uninstall.

See page 20 of the User Guide on how to install the program with Revo so it can log all changes. Page 22 explains Uninstall.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/manuals/RevoUninstallerProUsersmanual.pdf

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 August 2016 - 07:56 AM.

#5 Pearguy

Pearguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:27 PM

Thanks again JohnC

Getting late so I'll tackle Revo tomorrow.

Edited by Pearguy, 05 August 2016 - 03:30 PM.

#6 Pearguy

Pearguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:16 PM

Hi JohnC

Sorry for the delay. I couldn't work out if google photos was uninstalled or not but I can find no trace of it in any programs menu ('Start', 'Add Or Remove' etc) and it seems to have stopped misbehaving, so perhaps it's finally gone. Strange how it kept uploading photos without being asked, even after I first deleted it.

I'm currently being helped with a possible virus issue and, somehow during a scan process, I lost copy/ paste facility which is a priority, but I'll post back if/when I know for certain that google photos has gone.

My sincere thanks for all your time and advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users