Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how can I completely disable windows update?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 babak1

babak1

• Banned Spammer
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:54 PM

hi:

in windows 7 we can easily do it. whereas in window 10 when you disable automatic update I will face some wired thing. for example when I want yo shutdown my laptop it tries to complete update process !! what does it mean when I  turn it off ??

Edited by babak1, 03 August 2016 - 02:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 babak1

babak1
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:00 PM

if I access "gpedit" I can do it. I have windows 10 enterprise. do you know how can I find it? I searched it  in start menu. but nothing appears !!

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:59 AM

I will advice you and all not to turn off Windows Update as updates like Security updates or critical updates protect against vulnerabilities to malware and security exploits. Other updates correct errors unrelated to security, or enhance functionality of Windows and installed software. But if you still want to disable Windows Update then press Windows logo key  + I to open Settings and from Settings navigate to Network & Internet --> Advanced options  And turn on Metered connection. Windows will not download updates while Windows thinks the network connection is metered limited data plan network connection.

2GvnEq2.gif

#4 babak1

babak1
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:00 AM

I will advice you and all not to turn off Windows Update as updates like Security updates or critical updates protect against vulnerabilities to malware and security exploits. Other updates correct errors unrelated to security, or enhance functionality of Windows and installed software. But if you still want to disable Windows Update then press Windows logo key  + I to open Settings and from Settings navigate to Network & Internet --> Advanced options  And turn on Metered connection. Windows will not download updates while Windows thinks the network connection is metered limited data plan network connection.

I don't have unlimited internet traffic. so there is no choice, because windows update use a a lot of traffic.
thanks for your explanation about how to trun it off.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:06 AM

I'm sorry i don't understand does the Set as metered connection on and off switch can be use?

Are you connected to router with cable or wireless connection?

2GvnEq2.gif

#6 babak1

babak1
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:45 AM

I'm sorry i don't understand does the Set as metered connection on and off switch can be use?

Are you connected to router with cable or wireless connection?

wireless connection

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:04 AM

As far as I know you can set any connection, wired or wireless, to be considered metered by Windows 10.

There are now a lot of wireless internet services that allow you to connect a desktop (or laptop, for that matter) to the wireless modem-router via ethernet.  There most often are data caps on those services, so you can still declare that your wired connection is a metered connection.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:02 PM

As far as I know you can set any connection, wired or wireless, to be considered metered by Windows 10.

There are now a lot of wireless internet services that allow you to connect a desktop (or laptop, for that matter) to the wireless modem-router via ethernet.  There most often are data caps on those services, so you can still declare that your wired connection is a metered connection.

I read somewhere that metered connection setting cannot be set how come i have no idea there is a trick to turn on metered connection setting with wired connection  but i need to search around again as i have no idea where i so this trick.

OP you can turn on metered connection for wireless connection.

2GvnEq2.gif

#9 babak1

babak1
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:57 PM

thanks for useful information

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users