Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Check Disc runs at startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:22 PM

Hi all.

Every time I boot my Laptop it runs Check Disc unless I hit return. I ran SFC /scannow and it said everything was fine but it still runs Check Disc on boot. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate SP1.

Hope someone can help.

Handle every situation like a real man.
If you cant eat it or drink it.
Walk Away, it Aint worth the hassle.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:40 PM

Chkdsk and sfc /SCANNOW are two different tools, performing different functions.

Chkdsk without the /r attribute or the /f attribute...does nothing to but read...no repairs of any sort are attempted/made.  Soooo...anytime that chkdsk automatically runs by itself, my suggestion is to immediately attempt to run the chkdsk /r command (after the system has fully booted and settled down).  Chkdsk concerns itself with the contents of a given partition, no matter how large or how small.   It does not examine an entrie drive unless the entire drive is one partition.

Info

sfd /SCANNOW checks Windows system files for integrity (damage, missing, etc) and attempts to replace those files which are noted as missing or damaged.  It does not concern itself with anything but Windows files.

I suggest that you run the chkdsk /r command on your Windows partition...by one of the the methods detailed by Leo.

Louis

#3 Manshead

Manshead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I only ran SFC to make sure that everything in Windows was ok and not causing the repeated ChKDSK at start up. Not sure why but it seems to be in some kind of loop. I ran a HD test from a boot disk I have and it gave me the all clear.

I'll run CHKDSK /r and see what happens.

Once again thanks.

Handle every situation like a real man.
If you cant eat it or drink it.
Walk Away, it Aint worth the hassle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users