Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Game Crashes to Desktop / Blank Red Screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ASM

ASM

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:12 PM

Hiyas!

I recently bought a new R9 380 (XFX 4G) and after about a month of gaming with no problems, I started getting somewhat infrequent crashes to desktop while playing games. These pretty quickly increased in frequency, and while playing a new game (Overwatch), I would occasionally get a full system crash with a blank red screen. I've ruled out heat as an issue - my CPU and GPU temperatures are both quite low while gaming (in the low 50s). I've tried running games with no other applications running and with most background processes culled (I heard MSI Afterburner and some Raptr stuff can cause crashes).I've also wiped and reinstalled the graphics drivers multiple times, both through the Windows tool and with DDU. I updated the mobo drivers (but not BIOS) after upgrading to Windows 10 a few months ago, and reinstalled the audio drivers (since Realtek HD Audio Manager started increasing the volume in one speaker but not the other - unsolved). I've tried running with one stick of RAM then the other on their own, and finally when none of this helped, I temporarily surrendered and switched back to my old GPU (GTX 750 Ti). With the old card I no longer get the crashes to desktop, but I occasionally get a system crash that displays the Windows compiling error information screen while a loud buzzing / humming noise plays through the headphones. If I instantly restart and opened any game back up, it crashes again in the same manner after only a few minutes. I'm guessing this indicates something other than the GPU is at fault, but I don't have the know-how to identify what's going wrong. My Mobo and CPU are both about two years old, while the power supply is a hand-me-down, so I'm not sure of its age, though it got little to no use before I put it in my system two years ago (it's several hundred watts larger than my system needs, and has ample 12v rails).

System info:

GPU: Radeon R9 380 XFX 4G AND/OR NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti

CPU: Intel i5 4670K

Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Hero

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8G (x2)

PSU: Rosewill 750W

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! <3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:43 AM

I think you got a bad GPU. See if you can RMA that card.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users