Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 start button (windows flag logo)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 softwareguru

softwareguru

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:25 PM

When I right click the start icon I get a menu that will not work. 

I was told to find WinX and it wasn't there so I copied it from my laptop. Is the a service or something that needs to be enabled?

Virus, rootkits, adware etc. all show nothing.

Thanks in advance. ​

Edit: Moved topic from Introductions to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:20 PM

Hello softwareguru and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer :)

Give your computer a restart. When my start menu stopped working, shutting down did not make a difference because of Fast Startup, but clicking restart did. Let us know if it worked

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 softwareguru

softwareguru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the tip, but I did that and no change.

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:09 PM

Well, then, lets do some troubleshooting. On your computer, is there another account? If so, log into that account and see if that account also has the same problem.

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#5 softwareguru

softwareguru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:54 PM

Once again thank you for your reply. I only have one acct on my desktop.

I am fairly aware of most things windows, however I continue to learn. When I right click the start logo I do get the menu and a couple things work. Shutdown, run and search. The others like control panel and command prompt don't work. They will however work if I do a search and then run them. I just do not have the convenience of using this menu.

I am not positive, but I believe this happened after a windows update.

​Thanks again................ later

#6 pgh7

pgh7

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:21 PM

I have exactly the same problem, which only affects my windows 10 pro computer, and only after the last upgrade (Yesterday). I have also upgraded my windows 10 home and it still works fully as it should, so perhaps it is an issue with Pro?

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:24 AM

Run below commands from Command Prompt that is open as administrator.

Sfc  /Scannow

You would use DISM to fix Windows component store corruption when a sfc /scannow command is unable to repair corrupted or modified system files because the component store (source) is corrupted.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC should be able to repair the files afterwards. Execute below command to make sure corrupted system files repaired.

Sfc  /Scannow

Check to see issue has been resolved if not follow below steps.

You only need to follow below instructions if above commands has not resolve the issue!

Copy and paste all the commands output to your next post.

Copy text from a command prompt window

1.Right-click the title bar of the command prompt window, point to Edit, and then click Mark.
2.Click the beginning of the text you want to copy.
3.Press and hold down the SHIFT key, and then click the end of the text you want to copy (or you can click and drag the cursor to select the text).
4.Right-click the title bar, point to Edit, and then click Copy.
5. Right click empty space of your next post and select Paste from the context menu.
6. Click Post button.

Clean Boot
If the  error is caused by a current running process, restart your Windows system using the clean boot method will allow you to troubleshoot if a current service or process is causing the error to appear.
With a clean boot only the necessary services and process that are required to operate Windows are started when you boot your computer.
Follow these steps:
  • Start Windows
  • Open Run. Windows 8 users can press the Windows key and R Key to open Run.
  • Type msconfig and press Enter
  • Go to General tab > check Selective Startup option
  • Uncheck the Load startup items check box
  • Go to Services tab
  • Check Hide all Microsoft services check box from the bottom left corner of the window
  • Click Disable all
  • Click OK
  • Restart Windows
To reset these changes and start your Windows normally, follow the same steps:
  • Go to the General tab
  • Check the Normal Startup option
  • Click OK
  • Restart

Edited by FreeBooter, 04 August 2016 - 03:28 AM.

Posted Image

#8 pgh7

pgh7

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:04 AM

Run below commands from Command Prompt that is open as administrator.

Sfc  /Scannow

You would use DISM to fix Windows component store corruption when a sfc /scannow command is unable to repair corrupted or modified system files because the component store (source) is corrupted.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC should be able to repair the files afterwards. Execute below command to make sure corrupted system files repaired.

Sfc  /Scannow

Check to see issue has been resolved if not follow below steps.

You only need to follow below instructions if above commands has not resolve the issue!

Copy and paste all the commands output to your next post.

Copy text from a command prompt window

1.Right-click the title bar of the command prompt window, point to Edit, and then click Mark.
2.Click the beginning of the text you want to copy.
3.Press and hold down the SHIFT key, and then click the end of the text you want to copy (or you can click and drag the cursor to select the text).
4.Right-click the title bar, point to Edit, and then click Copy.
5. Right click empty space of your next post and select Paste from the context menu.
6. Click Post button.

Clean Boot
If the  error is caused by a current running process, restart your Windows system using the clean boot method will allow you to troubleshoot if a current service or process is causing the error to appear.
With a clean boot only the necessary services and process that are required to operate Windows are started when you boot your computer.
Follow these steps:
  • Start Windows
  • Open Run. Windows 8 users can press the Windows key and R Key to open Run.
  • Type msconfig and press Enter
  • Go to General tab > check Selective Startup option
  • Uncheck the Load startup items check box
  • Go to Services tab
  • Check Hide all Microsoft services check box from the bottom left corner of the window
  • Click Disable all
  • Click OK
  • Restart Windows
To reset these changes and start your Windows normally, follow the same steps:
  • Go to the General tab
  • Check the Normal Startup option
  • Click OK
  • Restart

I have run sfc /scannow a few times, but it fails to find anything wrong.

I have disabled my virus scanner software, removed and reinstalled a number of windows apps.

Mind you everything was working perfectly well with the previous version of windows 10. It is just after the latest upgrade that the start menu if right clicked from the start button does not fully work, only the bottom three of four options respond.

I have tried rebooting in windows 10 recovery mode, but it gives me three options, 1, restart, 2 shut down, 3, save my personal files but wipe everything else and reinstall windows. I would chose 3, but I have a program I rely on for work from a company that no longer exists so I would be unable to reinstall it. So I am stuck. The old F8 key at startup with earlier versions of windows does not appear to work with the latest incarnation of windows 10. 

#9 softwareguru

softwareguru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:46 AM

I have made a "work-a-round"............ I copied all of the shortcuts in WINX........... and pasted them into a folder on my desktop.  All I need do is open the folder and double click any thing, such as, control panel.

I appreciate all of the replies and followed them exactly to no avail. I am hoping Windows 10's next update will fix the problem.

Thanks pgh7

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:49 AM

No you are not stuck you can Repair Install Windows 10 this process will not delete your personal files, your settings and program install by you i have done it many time on many computer to repair Windows 10 but i still always backup user data before repair installing Windows 10 for me i never had a issue with repair install i done it so many time don't ask me how many i don't remember.

Edited by FreeBooter, 04 August 2016 - 06:50 AM.

Posted Image

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:51 AM

One more think uninstall third part antivirus and firewall programs disabling it will not resolve any issue cause by these programs.

Posted Image

#12 pgh7

pgh7

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 02:41 AM

No you are not stuck you can Repair Install Windows 10 this process will not delete your personal files, your settings and program install by you i have done it many time on many computer to repair Windows 10 but i still always backup user data before repair installing Windows 10 for me i never had a issue with repair install i done it so many time don't ask me how many i don't remember.

Well I tried your suggestion, and the restore process fixed the issue, but wiped of all my programs, yes it kept my personal files, the printer drivers etc, but I lost all my programs, so a full afternoon wasted and still more to go to re-install, perhaps with the initial version of windows 10 the restore worked OK and left the programs installed intact, but with the updated, or new version really it did not.  So thanks. NOT!

#13 doveroh

doveroh

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:42 AM

@pgh7 I'm sorry you had to reinstall all your program files again. That sucks.  I know that pain too much when my clients hard drive crashes to no return.  I would suggest to get an external drive, they go for about $50-60 or so online or at a big box store and do a monthly backup to it.  I plug mine in on a night that I won't be using my computer and let it backup overnight and it is usually done in the morning.  Windows has a backup program already on the system and it is also easy to restore.  Just an idea for the future incase something happens to where you have to go back to your latest backup so you only lose a few days worth of stuff. 

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:20 PM

Well I tried your suggestion, and the restore process fixed the issue, but wiped of all my programs, yes it kept my personal files, the printer drivers etc, but I lost all my programs, so a full afternoon wasted and still more to go to re-install, perhaps with the initial version of windows 10 the restore worked OK and left the programs installed intact, but with the updated, or new version really it did not.  So thanks. NOT!

You have not follow the instructions at website link i provided because it sound like you have RESET your computer which has a option to keep your personal files and reinstall Windows 10 but if you have done a  Windows 10 Repair Install you will get to  keep all your personal files, settings, most drivers and installed updates most importantly you get to keep all your programs you have installed.

Edited by FreeBooter, 06 August 2016 - 03:23 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users