Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD While Using IE in Win10

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cbrueckman

cbrueckman

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:42 PM

I converted to Win10 at the end of July, updated my Kapersky AV to Internet Security 2017 the next day.  Shortly thereafter, my wife complained about “excessive hangs” in IE.  Often it would be 30 seconds or more before the page loads or resonds.  Within the last few days the monitor goes black, or grays out and displays its power saving/sleep message (I can’t recall or reproduce the verbiage at will).  Initially, the computer becomes completely unresponsive, requiring a hard reboot.  Last night, while she was using the computer, I saw it happen again, but it took her back to the lock screen.  She was only using IE at the time.  She had tabs for Facebook Scrabble, Merriam-Webster Scrabble Word finder and Ebay search results.

Right now when I tried to open new tabs from links in the BSOD Posting Instructions page, several resulted in tabs without any title.  I can't seem to switch to those tabs and had to try multiple times to be able to close them.  Still unable to close one.

Several “unknowns” in the requested info below.  How do I find that information?

Attached are the SysnativeFileCollectionApp and Perfmon zip files

· OS - Windows 10 Home
·
x64
·
Original OS:  Win7
·
Win7 was original OEM OS. Win10 is whatever was pushed by MS. 
· Age of system (hardware):  2012?
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS?  Win10 installed July 29, 2016
· CPU:  Intel i5-2320, 3GHz
· Video Card: Unknown – Device Manager lists Intel HD Graphics with the triangle problem indicator.  Clicking for the Properties, the Device status displays: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
· MotherBoard - Unkown
· Power Supply - brand & wattage Unknown

·
System Manufacturer:  Gateway
·
Exact model number DX4860

· Desktop

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:15 PM

Have you actually seen a BSOD?  Here's a picture of them:  http://www.carrona.org/bsodimg.html (the W10 version is the lower picture).

You didn't describe any in your post.

There are no memory dumps in the uploaded reports

The KernelDumpList.txt report shows no memory dumps

There is no sign of BSOD's in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

If not having BSOD's, then wait for the next time that computer becomes completely unresponsive (follow my suggestions below BEFORE doing this - it may not be necessary if my suggestions fix things)..

Then recover from that and immediately generate this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Your UEFI/BIOS (version P02-A1) dates from 2011.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Only 7 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Perfmon says there are problems with your Intel graphics, yet the MSINFO32 report says it's OK.

Try updating the Intel graphics drivers to the latest, W10 compatible version available from the Gateway website.

If they don't have W10 versions for your model, then you'll have to check the Intel Download Center for one.

I searched the Intel website for HD Graphics 3000 drivers - and it doesn't appear that there are any W10 drivers available.

You may want to try the W8 versions that are listed on this page:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81500/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000-for-2nd-Generation-Intel-Core-Processors

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 cbrueckman

cbrueckman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:05 PM

No, I did not receive either example of BSOD. From other posts I saw reference to "black screen" which is what I received. One instance I observed, it looked like a black screen with a small gray box, similar to what I receive when I put the computer to sleep. However, I was not directly at the computer when it happened and was unable to read any of the text.

Admin.zip is attached.

As I was reading your post on another device, my wife reported "its happening again". I did see a pop-up about the display resolution not being set at the recommended resolution (1920x1080), so I adjusted the resolution. The desktop went black. Open programs were reflected in the taskbar, but unable to bring to the desktop. I saw she had IE open with tabs for Facebook, Facebook Scrabble, Merriam-Webster Scrabble Word Finder. eBay and a local funeral home. I had to restart the computer to regain control. So far, it has worked enough for me to generate the Admin.evtx file and this reply.

I will proceed with the other items you suggested and let you know what results.

Attached Files

#4 cbrueckman

cbrueckman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:56 PM

Running the HWMonitor to monitor temps.

Gateway doesn't show any UEFI/BIOS for my computer and W10. These are shown as the latest when I specify W7 OS, but also caution upgrading the BIOS incorrectly could harm my system:

BIOS Gateway BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades) P11.A3 3.1 MB 2013/09/02
BIOS Gateway BIOS (for device with Ivy Bridge & USB 3.0 Supported) P03.A3 2.5 MB 2012/05/14

Intel shows two HD Graphics driver updates. How do I tell which is right for my system? (My Device Manager shows the current Intel HD Graphics driver with a date of May 27, 2015, driver number 9.17.10.4229)

Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8/8.1-32bit
This package installs the Intel® HD Graphics Driver version 15.28.24.4229 (9.17.10.4229) for Windows* 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1, 32-bit.
Drivers Windows 7, 32-bit*
Windows 8, 32-bit*
Windows 8.1, 32-bit* 15.28.24.4229
Latest 6/5/2015
Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8/8.1-32bit

This download installs version 15.28.23.4101 of the Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8/8.1, 32-bit.
Drivers Windows 7, 32-bit*
Windows 8, 32-bit*
Windows 8.1, 32-bit* 15.28.23.4101
Previously Released 2/4/2015

The Intel Driver Update Utility identified a chipset device software for my computer with W10 (attached picture). should I install it?

Working on the Windows Updates as soon as I post this.

Attached Files

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:45 AM

AFAIK, your system has 64 bit Windows - not 32 bit.

Check in the System app to be sure (press Win and X key, then press Y key)

Lot's of errors in the Admin logfile - but nothing that I can specifically link to your problems (and there's no definite sign as to when you rebooted the system).

Start with this (to remove excess entries from the logfile):

To stop Media Center tasks from running (and then failing) delete this registry key (as with any deletion, backup the key first):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center

Once you've deleted the above registry key do the following:
- Go to the Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows folder and delete the Media Center folder (as with any deletion, backup the folder first).
- Then delete the Task Scheduler Library...Microsoft...Windows...Media Center task folder within the Task Scheduler (I don't think that you can back this up, but you can export the tasks individually).

Then, the next time the system freezes, shut down by pressing and holding the power button (this'll generate and Event ID 41 error to mark the shutdown)

Do the BIOS update for W8.1 - it should run in W10 without problems.

Not having w10 compatible graphics is probably the most significant error that I see.

I would try uninstalling the Intel graphics driver, then reboot and let Windows install the best one that it finds (hopefully it's W10 compatible)

The one's that you're looking at are all about the same age as the one's already on your system (the first one is probably the same one that you have now).

Yes, install the chipset drivers.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 cbrueckman

cbrueckman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:26 PM

Results from Driver verifier are attached.  Seagate HDD booted from CD, but failed to identify any attached drives.  MemTest ran for 20 hours, 13+ passes, no reported errors.

Attempted to update BIOS from Gateway (BIOS_Gateway_P11.A3_A_A.zip).  there were no indications of any problems, but checking BIOS during next bootup revealed the old BIOS (P02-A1 08/01/2011) was still being used.

Deleted Media Center as recommended.  However there was no Media Center folder in Task Scheduler Library…Microsoft…Windows.

Intel HD graphics driver uninstalled.  Upon reboot, driver properties show same as before.

Installed new chipset.

After my post of 8/3, my wife reported several instances of the computer going to black screen and the mouse and keyboard becoming unresponsive, requiring hard reboot.  One such incident I observed in process had a “Low Memory” box open indicating a problem with Internet Explorer.  A notification box opened advising the resolution was not at the recommended settings.  I was able to open display Settings and set them to the recommended values (1920x1080).  I believe she was able to resume operation after that event.  I experienced one instance directly as I was about to run the HDD & MemTest diagnostics overnight.  My notes and recollections follow:

8/4/16 0238 hrs,  IE was open w/three tabs for FB scrabble, word finder and ebay.

Opened ms outlook

Went to black screen w/floating gray box “D-SUB/power saving mode”, typical with what I have seen before when the computer goes to sleep.  Mouse moves cursor on desktop, but there is no response to clicks.  Hitting Esc and/or Shift keys initially no effect.

Desktop eventually returned, but w/black background, windows minimized and unable to restore them.
Dialogue box w/MS trouble indicator triangle &  “low on memory” message.
Black  notification box from right edge:   resolution not at recommended (1920x1080) setting.

Screen went to black, mouse move cursor around screen but no response to click
Cursor disappeared several times for 30+seconds
No response to mouse or keyboard

Ctrl+alt+del brought up light gray screen, but not responsive to mouse or keyboard.
Press & hold power button to hard reboot.

0301 Reboot to desktop. No problems w/MS Word to type notes.

Wife used computer morning of 8/4.  Don’t recall any significant events.  Late that night through morning of 8/6 computer was undergoing HDD & MemTest diagnostics and making changes as previously recommended.

When initially attempted to post this update, IE hung up when I tried to upload a new Admin events Zip.  MSWord, File Explorer, HWMonitor were also open at the time.  Everything hung up. Had to hard reboot again.

Due to the hard reboots, I ran and uploaded a new copy of the Administrative Events

Attached Files

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:24 PM

Results from Driver Verifier will be BSOD's.

Did you have any BSOD's after turning Driver Verifier on?

If so, then zip up the contents of C:\Windows\Minidump and upload them with your next post. (they must be in a .zip archive)

Beyond that, I'm not seeing much in the way of evidence of problems - and as such am starting to wonder about incompatibilities.

The way to test this would be to install W7 from recovery media.  Do you have the recovery media, or are you able to get it from Gateway?

#8 cbrueckman

cbrueckman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:45 AM

No BSoDs, but plenty of crashes & hangs while my wife is using IE11 with 2-3 tabs open.  Saw what appear to be description of similar experience by other users at:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/low-memory-after-updating-to-windows-10/118c6ae6-501b-43d1-a75c-344c002525ae?page=1

Haven't tried ANY of the recommended fixes.  None appear to have been recognized as an accurate solution, or from someone who actually knows what they are recommending.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:30 AM

I'd suggest posting over in the Internet & Networking forums for other suggestions: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/77/internet-networking/

I'm about out of ideas here (other than the clean install of W7 from recovery media).  Good luck!

#10 cbrueckman

cbrueckman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:04 PM

Unfortunately, reinstalling W7 is not an option.  i will try the other forum.  Thanks for all your time & help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users