Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KMPlayer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 santare

santare

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:38 AM

MBAM Anti-ransomware warned me of a detected ransomware located in the file D:/KMPlayer. While the file has been quarantined, I could play videos through that program and computer wasn't hit with any kind of ransomware. When I turned on computer today, I realized the program is gone, so I'm worried if I restore the executable that I'm gonna get infected. Is there a case where MBAM Anti-Ransomware could find a false positive. This file has been on a computer for years and only now, MBAM Anti-Ransomware recognized it as ransomware. I don't want to restore it, because I don't know what would happen.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:49 AM

MalwareBytes Anti-Ransomware is pretty touchy, it does get a lot of false-positives. You can report a FP on the MalwareBytes forum.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#3 santare

santare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:33 PM

How effective is it if it gets a lot of false positives?

#4 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,561 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:18 PM

That's still up in the air. It is still a beta after all, so by running it, you are agreeing to the disclaimer MalwareBytes has put forth on it.

I personally uninstalled it a few months ago because of the false-positives that were getting in the way (constantly quarantining my developer tools like Git, and even Microsoft Word). I participated in the beta for a month or so and reported each FP, but it got annoying for me honestly. :P

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:32 PM

A beta version of a product is one not completely tested to ensure its stability or reliability. The goal of a beta program is to collect information regarding the performance, quality, stability, and functionality of new products in order to iron out the bugs before they are released to the general public as a stable final product. Beta software is not intended for inexperienced users since it may contain bugs ranging in severity from minor features not working properly to problems that may potentially damage your system. I seldom recommend using betas of any program since you never know what bugs and quirks you may encounter which could affect your system...then you have to waste time researching and getting things straightened out. If you choose to use a beta program, you use it at your own risk.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:52 PM

KM Player is a legit video player used by some websites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users