Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to copy XP to another PC but the result is black screen of death

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chryssalid

Chryssalid

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:11 AM

Hi!

I have an XP OEM with latest updates (including SP3) plus tons of software installed on an old computer. I'd like to copy this install to my laptop and activate it with another license key.

I have wasted lots of hours trying to make this to work but the result is ALWAYS the same: a black screen with a blinking cursor or just a black screen. Safe mode and command prompt does not work either, the result is always a black screen after I chose those options.

The install is pretty much clean. I've made only this registry hack:
"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady] "Installed"=dword:00000001"

This allowed me to download latest updates.

I have tried so far:
- sysprep
- fixmbr+fixboot
- FIX_hdc from UBCD4Win
- checked boot.ini
- resetted IDE drivers from the old computer before making a disk image
- deleted HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG > SYSTEM > CURRENTCONTROLSET > ENUM
- tried to test the image also in Virtualbox (didn't work)

My hdd image software is DriveImage XML. The image seems to work only in the old computer.

When I choose "safe mode", i can see some drivers being loaded on bottom of the screen. After seeing text "gagp30kx.sys", the screen turns into completely black with a blinking cursor.

Any ideas what to do next???

Edited by hamluis, 03 August 2016 - 11:43 AM.
Moved from XP to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zailai

zailai

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:17 AM

Two suggestions:

1. Use "clone" not 'backup" (clone is different to backup). There are many third party tools which has such function.

2. Use "universal restore" feature. Also, many programs have this function. 

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:03 AM

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, however, I thought any Windows OEM, from XP on up, is "married" to either the motherboard, and/or the hard-drive; most recently I've found the marriage also to be found in UEFI or BIOS.  Meaning any OEM cannot be transferred, copied, moved, migrated, from its original computer to any other computer.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:40 PM

I would agree with Roland here. AFAIK, as he says, an OEM licence is irrevocably 'tied' to the hardware that it was originally installed upon at first activation.....including serial numbers. Therefore, nothing you can possibly do will allow it to work on another machine with different hardware specs. The only way you could do this is to move literally everything from your old machine to the new one.....in which case, you're still using the 'old' one (which is, I would guess, kind of defeating the object of the excercise..!)

Sorry, but I'm afraid this is one of those few Windows 'issues' that has absolutely no 'workaround' for it. The only way is to get hold of another copy of Windows that hasn't been activated (like an original, packaged copy of XP that will allow activation on up to 3 machines, I believe), do a fresh install, and laboriously re-install everything from scratch on the 'new' machine. If you've been using XP for any length of time (as I have), you tend to get into a routine of doing regular re-installs anyway. Which is why I have a special folder set-up on an external HDD which contains absolutely everything I need to do a 'new' install back to the condition XP was previously in.....including all necessary drivers, programs, and utilities. I even have it set-up in such a way that I just go through each successive folder in turn, until everything has been installed in the correct order. And after you've done it a few times, you can get through it all in 2-3 hours (instead of the 2-3 days it used to take me!)

It's just one of those Windows 'issues' you get used to. There are, I believe, various 'dodgy' versions of XP floating around the 'net which will install with an auto-activated license key.....but these are NOT condoned by the Forum administration (since M$ regularly 'trawl' sites like this to see if 'unofficial' advice is being given, and, given that Redmond have always appeared to consider litigation to be the answer to everything, I don't blame the staff on here one bit for not condoning such advice), and any attempts to solicit such advice will, I'm afraid, probably result in 'sanctions' being taken against you. Gotta play by the 'big boy's' rules, y'see..!

EDIT:- Found this, which may or may not have something to do with your problem (though I doubt it's anything other than hardware incompatibility. However, it just possibly could be that the POS-ready 'fix' meant that your old machine downloaded a driver update for the video card, which threw everything out.....there's a few unusual 'fixes' I've not come across before, like the bit about using a Win 7 install disc to repair your XP install [???] ). System specs ( of both machines) would help here.

If the old machine is using an AGP video card, it would show it to be somewhere between 12-15 yrs old.....correct?

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 08 August 2016 - 09:05 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:52 AM

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, however, I thought any Windows OEM, from XP on up, is "married" to either the motherboard, and/or the hard-drive; most recently I've found the marriage also to be found in UEFI or BIOS.  Meaning any OEM cannot be transferred, copied, moved, migrated, from its original computer to any other computer.

I believe that the OS SOFTWARE can be transferred, copied, moved, migrated from one computer to another*+, but the LICENSE cannot. The OS will then detect that there has been a significant system change (i.e. new motherboard) and ask to be re-activated. I believe in theory, then the OS should be able to be activated with a new license key of that same type (for Windows XP, than meant if the original OEM license key was 32 bit Windows Home, then the new key needed to also be 32 bit Windows Home). I could be wrong, however. I have never tried this as I usually just fine it easier to re-install Windows and programs rather than deal with the potential quirks of this approach (see the * section below). Plus, as Mike_Walsh offered, you generally need to re-install Windows XP every once in a while anyways to keep it running at tip-top shape.

* The biggest issue with moving the Windows OS is drivers. Any old drivers left installed will usually cause problems on the new computer. So, for it to work, you need to nuke all old drivers (i.e. motherboard chipset drivers, graphic card drivers, etc).

+ The other potential issue is with "manufactured" computers and their OEM licenses. In some cases, OEM licenses of "manufactured" computers are actually "hard tied" to the manufacturer. For example, I am 99% sure that older Dell computers had OEM OS software that would not run on another brand (say HP) computer. I believe this was because the OEM install disks would install Windows that did not require a separate license key to be entered when re-installing Windows (I never recall entering a Windows license key when re-installing Windows XP on my one Dell machine and I re-installed Windows using the provided disc at least once when the original hard drive bit the dust, but pretty sure I re-installed more than once). My above statement is more applicable when talking about so-called System Builder/OEM licenses bought for use with a built computer.

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,316 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

+ The other potential issue is with "manufactured" computers and their OEM licenses. In some cases, OEM licenses of "manufactured" computers are actually "hard tied" to the manufacturer. For example, I am 99% sure that older Dell computers had OEM OS software that would not run on another brand (say HP) computer. I believe this was because the OEM install disks would install Windows that did not require a separate license key to be entered when re-installing Windows (I never recall entering a Windows license key when re-installing Windows XP on my one Dell machine and I re-installed Windows using the provided disc at least once when the original hard drive bit the dust, but pretty sure I re-installed more than once). My above statement is more applicable when talking about so-called System Builder/OEM licenses bought for use with a built computer. 

Yep; I'd agree with that. My old Inspiron 1100 that I'm in now is these days running 'Puppy' Linux.....but when we bought it back in 2002/3, it was originally running XP (which at that time, was relatively new still.) Those were the days when Dell sold direct to the public, and we did indeed receive, amongst everything else, a Dell XP 're-install' disc. I used this perhaps a dozen or so times over the years, until I moved away from M$ when XP went EOL.

I don't recall ever having to re-activate it, either; which would seem to prove that the activation key was probably 'coded' onto the re-install disc from the word go.

Mike.   :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 09 August 2016 - 02:41 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 tomtt2

tomtt2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:17 PM

You might give the 3rd party app. XXClone (http://www.xxclone.com/) a try. I've had good luck cloning one drive to another, then installing it in my computer and off to the races. I don't know about the inability to clone Windows OEM to another drive.

Good luck

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:23 PM

"...I don't know about the inability to clone Windows OEM to another drive."  It's not the cloning ability that's in question, it's the license-legality of cloning and using an OEM that's in question.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 Chryssalid

Chryssalid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for the replies so far! I've got some new ideas and even some progress. But still, the cloned system does not work.

I made some research. I clean-installed WinXP OEM to my ancient PC and my virtual machine. Then made a binary comparison between these installations. I realized that the installations are very similar and the cloning worked without problems when I copied:
- hal.dll,
- missing drivers from system32/drivers,
- system32/config/system,
- system32/config/security.

Based on this experiment, I copied from the clean XP SP2 OEM installation
- hal.dll
- 8 missing drivers from system32/drivers
and put those to the installation I want to clone (XP SP3 OEM).

This worked, in a way.

First boot: Windows seems to boot normally to the safe mode. Windows alerts that it must be activated again because of hardware changes. Good sign! But about 30 seconds later: BSOD with error code 0x000000FC.

Second boot: Windows immediately starts to whine about hal.dll that it is corrupted or missing and refuses to boot to safe mode. It seems that after the first boot Windows replaces hal.dll with its own.

$¤%&#!

If this is an OEM limitation like some of you have suggested, I wonder why the feedback to the user is just a black screen and not some informative error message. Black screen sounds more like an unhandled error. On the other hand, I made a scientific experiment and tried to clone a ware version of retail WinXP Pro. FIX_hdc from UBCD4Win was all that was needed to make it work.

Any ideas what to try next? I'm not willing to use commercial backup software because this seems more like a Windows problem than a filesystem problem and I'm very suspicious those softwares would solve anything in this case.

I wonder if it's possible to reset HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE somehow?

#10 Chryssalid

Chryssalid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:02 AM

I got it working!

I used BartPE and

- copied a correct hal.dll from SP3 update

- deleted HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\ACPI

- deleted HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\ACPI_HAL

- deleted HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\ACPI

- deleted HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\ACPI_HAL

- run fix_hdc.

I'm not sure why this did not work earlier. Perhaps the execution order was wrong or I tried to boot between the above steps. Or planets just were in wrong position...

Anyway, Windows said it must be activated again so I clicked internet activation and it went through smoothly although M$ servers seem to be offline very often nowadays.

Thank you all for your help :)

EDIT: not fix_mbr but fix_hdc

Edited by Chryssalid, 28 August 2016 - 01:42 PM.

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,316 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:10 PM

Hi, Chrysalid.

Anyway, Windows said it must be activated again so I clicked internet activation and it went through smoothly although M$ servers seem to be offline very often nowadays.

You're right there.....for anything other than Windows 10. It's been given top-priority on M$'s servers for approximately the last 18 months or so, because of their huge push to get everybody using it..!  :rolleyes:

Anyway, glad to hear you got it working. Nice one.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 28 August 2016 - 01:11 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users