Hi everyone. I have a Acer X3990 computer. It has been working well for the past 2 years until yesterday. I haven't installed any new software or hardware. I have tried evreything I can think of to resolve - and I am COMPLETELY STUMPED!!
When I boot up, my desktop loads without error, albeit a little slower than previously. I can click on the icons on the Desktop and they will open the respective programme. However, I cannot open any of the icons in the Taskbar. It is like the Taskbar is just stuck/hanging. Right clicking on the task bar does not open any options for me to select to resolve the issue. The only way I can get the Taskbar to work is by logging off, then logging back in. The icons on the Taskbar can then be used.
Furthermore, when I am able to open any programme on the Desktop or Taskbar, I am unable to close the window with the little "x" on the top right of the window. If I try to download anything off the internet, I can't "save to" or "open with". It just does nothing.
I can no longer use CTRL +ALT+DEL to bring up the Task Manager. I have to use the other option available (CTRL+SHFT+ESC). But then I am unable to open any of the tabs in Task Manager, nothing happens when I click on them. Again, I have to log off and log back in for this to work.
I have antivirus installed (McAfee). I also have Malwarebytes installed. I have run both, no viruses or malware deteced. I have installed 5 Rootkit virus software programmes & searched for rootkit viruses, nothing. All clean.
I have checked my RAM, all good, no issues at all. I have hecked my hard drive health (sectors, corrupt files, everything) - all good.
My computer is absolutley behaving as though it has a virus, but a check of this with all software and a check of my hardware shows everythg is okay?
- I tried a system restore. It restored to an early date. However, the same issues persists when it reboots back to desktop. Taskbar frozen unless loging out and back in again. Downloads via internet (Mozilla, I.E. etc) won't download or open.
- I tried repairing Windows 7 with the installation CD. When I click on "repair", it searches for an installed version of Windows, which it finds. It then asks to hit the "next" button". When I do this, it just hangs. I can move the cursor around but cannot select anything further, or do anything other than shut down PC.
- I tried reinstalling Windows using installation CD. It shows all of the Windows 7 platform options avalaible, from x86 starter, to x64 Ultimate. Sometimes I can scroll to the platform I want, sometimes it just freezes. Cursor moves but clicking on any platform does nothing. Sometimes it will let me scroll all the way down to x64 Ultimate, but when I click on that, it does nothing. Even after waiting 20 minutes.
- I replaced the DVD drive with a new spare working one to rule out a faulty DVD drive, same problem
- I used another Windows 7 installation disc to rule out a damaged/scratched disc, same problem.
- I then removed my harddrive & installed a brand new formatted hard drive to rule out my existing drive being defective. Unbelievably, exactly the same issue. It doesn't matter weather I use a new hard drive, new DVD drive, new Windows disc, I absolutely cannot get Windows to install??
I don't know weather BIOS viruses exist, but I have even removed all RAM and the motherboard battery, power supply and reinstalled. The issue persists. I even replaced the RAM, in case the software tools were telling me they were good when they are not. No diference.
It is like my PC is posessed. All hardware changed (RAM, Harddrive, DVD drive, Windows install disc) It will not allow me to install. The windows install disc loads when rebooting, it asks e to select "time zone", country etc, but even if I can get to selecting the type of windows installation I want, e.g. X64 Ultimate, it won't do a thing when I click on it.
Does anyone have any fea what could be causing this? I am at a total loss after 15 hours trying. Thanks