Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with internet please

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 knowles1382

knowles1382

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:49 AM

I have a Christmas tree lot in a large parking lot in a strip mall.  I would like to get WIFI capability there so I can view my security cameras from home on my phone and PC as well as stream music.  There is a comcast hotspot at a business close to me but the signal goes in and out.  Is there a booster I can get and just use that?  Is there a time limit on comcast hotspots?  If that does not work are there any other suggestions on how I can get internet there for the month?  Thanks in advance for your help

Bill 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:10 AM

Are you a Comcast customer?

#3 knowles1382

knowles1382
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:19 AM

yes

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:32 AM

As a Comcast customer there are no time limits on connecting to an Xfinity hotspot.
However, a prolonged period of inactivity will result in automatic disconnection. Unfortunately, I have no clue what they considered "prolonged".

More information XFINITY WiFi Hotspots Overview

Regarding the issue of it going in and out, I cannot help you with that.

#5 knowles1382

knowles1382
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:24 AM

thank you.  Is there any service I can get for a month that would work better?

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:14 AM

Any service you get would probably work better, but most wireless isn't priced for streaming video.  The reason that the signal goes in and out is because of vehicle traffic.

The real question is how much are you willing to pay for another solution?

I have a Karma hotspot for when I need wireless.  The pricing isn't great if you need a lot of data.  On the other hand it would also give your customers access to wireless and when they access it you get more data.

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:45 AM

Verizon has internet wifi services.  Have used them to get internet to a construction site and with security camera access

#8 knowles1382

knowles1382
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for that info.  I have been looking for a service provider and it is hard to find.  I was told i need a cable or satellite service and a "hotspot" will not work to see the video on a PC or app

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:05 AM

Hot spot is just fine as long as it has enough bandwidth to support your camera usage as well as its regular usage.  That and a full bar wifi connection to it. Cellular is better than satellite imho.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 04 August 2016 - 11:05 AM.

#10 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 02:40 PM

The reason the app says it needs a cable connection is because you need a direct NAT connection. Many cellular and wireless Mesh ISPs use "carrier grade NAT" which is to say the IP assigned to your cellular device may also be used by someone else at the same time. Cable ISP use DHCP IPs which are assigned to the unique MAC address on the modems. The IP address changes, but only one device can use a IP at a time. Business class ISP or some DSL ISP's use static IPs that are either assigned or cached to your device. The reason the type of IP is important is it determines how the cameras have to be set up. If the IP is DHCP, then a DDNS client on the router is needed to track the IP. 

Your best bet is to contact the cellular provider of your choice and see if they can provide a cellular device that provides a public IP. Most will require a GPS antenna be set up that will check your location so keep that in mind. This is to stop people from using those types of devices as roaming broadband. Also make sure the modem they give assign you either does NOT have any routing capabilities or it CAN do port forwarding. If you have a provider in mind I can give specifics.

Edited by Trikein, 05 August 2016 - 02:44 PM.

#11 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 04:55 PM

"the IP assigned to your cellular device may also be used by someone else at the same time"

sorry but this is not the definition of "carrier grade NAT"

carrier grade nat used private ip addressing which is why you can't forward using it.  has nothing to do with "used by someone else at the same time" which would result in a ip conflict.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

#12 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:41 PM

With CNAT, you still show a public IP to websites. That IP can be traced to multiple people using that same CNAT. Direct from your link:

" for example, the system might block a spamming user by banning the IP address which represents them. If that user happens to be behind carrier-grade NAT, other users sharing the same public IP with the spammer will be mistakenly blocked.[6]"

So if you get a IP from the modem/device of private IP 100.64.0.1, which will point to public 166.128.0.1. Not only do ports have to be forwarded from 100.64.0.1 to 166.128.0.1 but since multiple people are behind the 166.128.0.1 IP, it would only work with one person. Another words, trying to get the ISP to forward the ports is pointless.

What I don't understand is you go out of your way to correct me to say you can't forward with cellular CNAT after you mention using cellular even though OP says that won't work with his app. Which is it; will cellular work or not work for OP's issue?

Edited by Trikein, 13 August 2016 - 01:42 PM.

#13 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:09 PM

"With CNAT, you still show a public IP to websites."

Yes but there is a private ip network between you and the public ip which is why you can't forward.

"That IP can be traced to multiple people"

and

" If that user happens to be behind carrier-grade NAT, other users sharing the same public IP with the spammer will be mistakenly blocked"

It was not clear from your statements that the block is against the public ip of the private lan you are going through.  After all you can't block a private ip address in a public namespace.  In most cases of NAT its many to one as in one public ip to many, but not the same,  private ip addresses.  And actually you can't trace past the public wan ip if there is any kind of proper config/firewall and you couldn't trace to people.  If you could trace it would be devices.

"which is to say the IP assigned to your cellular device may also be used by someone else at the same time"

I see this differently.  The cellular device would have a private ip address which would be unique on that lan.  What I think you saying is that you are talking about the public ip address that the cellular devices has to go through to get to the public ip.

Think of using CNAT with a router as two private routers in series [public ip(wan interface)<>router<>(lan interface)<>private ip(wan interface)<>router<>(lan interface)<>hosts in private ip lan where the cameras would be.

"you go out of your way to correct me"

Not my intention.  Thought I was clarifying.

"Which is it; will cellular work or not work for OP's issue?"

Worked fine for the building site and their security cameras. It was quite a while into the project before telephone /fiber were delivered to the site.  Cameras could pan the entire 180 degree of each camera.  Certainly worth talking to a wireless carrier.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 13 August 2016 - 03:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users