Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Windows Image Backup can't recover

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:45 AM

Hello,

As mentioned, I have a Windows Image Backup that doesn't recover in the "Advanced options" of the PE environment, of the "Reset this PC". The Toshiba Satellite is currently running Windows 10. But for some reason, perhaps due to malware the OS is corrupted. It starts up fine and loads the desktop screen but when I try using it online-it freezes. I tried doing a reset- back to the Windows 10 upgrade, but the problem persists.

Back to the PE environment. The environment recognizes my system image on the external drive but can't recover it because based from the messages it gives, it needs a recovery disk, because it can't recover the drive when it is being used. And since I haven't made a recovery when the laptop was still running Windows 8, I am not sure what to do now.

I have attempted to install a fresh copy of Win 8 x64 from Dreamspark, and then make a recovery disk, in the attempts of using it to recover the image I was talking about. However, once the install screen pops up, it informs me that the current installation doesn't find the license key or something of the sort. I know it is Microsoft's new anti-piracy scheme, however, I am not sure how it works, other than the license key is built inside the pc. Not sure of what's going on, and not wanting to waste my original license for the OS, I came here.

I also want to mention that I also have a system image of the computer the day we got it. It was made using the default Win 8 software that came with computer. I have the system image on 3 DVDs. I have tried using that in the "Reset this PC" PE environment, however, the DVDs are not recognized. Which brings me to conclusion: if the system imaging software from Microsoft doesn't recognize their own system images, why have it in their own OS??

Any help would be great at this point,

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:10 AM

Hi,

It seems the image you have contains Windows 8, after restore you need to upgrade to Windows 10 again!

My suggestion, is faster to download Windows 10 from Microsoft, create the Install media in a DVD or create a flash drive then install fresh.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Edit: Booting from the Windows 10 DVD and select Repair this PC will give you access to the option System Image Recovery created on Windows 8.

Edited by SleepyDude, 03 August 2016 - 08:23 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for replying so fast. I will try that. I am not sure what you meant in the Edit part of your reply. Are you saying that System Image Recovery in WIndows 10 install environment will act as an alternative to recovery disk for Win 8?

#4 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:38 AM

Are there any differences in Windows 10 and 10N at the Microsoft's site?

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for replying so fast. I will try that. I am not sure what you meant in the Edit part of your reply. Are you saying that System Image Recovery in WIndows 10 install environment will act as an alternative to recovery disk for Win 8?

Yes. The System Image Recovery image is compatible with images created on Windows 7 and above.

Are there any differences in Windows 10 and 10N at the Microsoft's site?

Ignore the "N" version is for Europe only...

Due to a ruling for anti-competitive practices by the European Commission in 2004, Microsoft has been forced to maintain special editions for its Windows operating systems. Labeled "N" for Europe and "KN" for Korea, these editions include all the base features of the operating system but without Windows Media Player and related technologies pre-installed. For the Windows 10 editions, this includes Windows Media Player, Music, Video, Voice Recorder and Skype.

If you reside in and purchase a PC in a country required to use the N and KN editions, you receive a computer without media technologies

Source: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/what-are-windows-10-n-and-kn-editions

Edited by SleepyDude, 03 August 2016 - 09:16 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:37 AM

Ok. Thanks.

#7 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:01 AM

Back to the PE environment. The environment recognizes my system image on the external drive but can't recover it because based from the messages it gives, it needs a recovery disk, because it can't recover the drive when it is being used. And since I haven't made a recovery when the laptop was still running Windows 8, I am not sure what to do now.

That's right. You need to boot from a Windows 8 System Repair Disc (CD/DVD) or Windows 8 installation media, and in UEFI-only mode.

I have attempted to install a fresh copy of Win 8 x64 from Dreamspark, and then make a recovery disk, in the attempts of using it to recover the image I was talking about.

All that isn't necessary. You can simply use the Windows 8 installation media and then select Repair this PC instead of attempting a re-install. Again, this should be done in UEFI-only boot mode.

I also want to mention that I also have a system image of the computer the day we got it. It was made using the default Win 8 software that came with computer. I have the system image on 3 DVDs. I have tried using that in the "Reset this PC" PE environment, however, the DVDs are not recognized. Which brings me to conclusion: if the system imaging software from Microsoft doesn't recognize their own system images, why have it in their own OS??

That set of 3 recovery discs were not created by Windows 8's inbuilt Recovery Media Creator. They were created using Toshiba's recovery media creator instead. Windows 8's inbuilt Recovery Media Creator doesn't support creating a set of DVDs, it only supports a USB flash drive and USB hard drive. To use those DVDs you need to boot from the first DVD of that set. It loads Toshiba's recovery environment and will ask for the other DVDs in their order of creation. You do not use those DVDs with Windows Recovery Environment's Reset/Refresh options. It is not a flaw in Microsoft's software that Windows RE doesn't recognise recovery DVDs created by third party vendors (Toshiba).

#8 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:22 AM

Oh, okay. I thought that those DVDs were created using Window's built in program.

As you mentioned, I need a Win 8 installation media, but Microsoft doesn't list that on their website anymore. Can I just use 8.1 instead or it's not going to work? Also, you mentioned that all this needs to be done in UEFI mode only. Not sure as to what is the difference with UEFI only.

#9 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:40 AM

SleepyDude, unfortunately, the Windows 10 recovery environment is not compatible with the WIn 8 image I am trying to recover. That's what the error message said when I attempted to do so.

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:06 PM

This means you need to boot from the Windows DVD to restore the image and not from the Operating System that is on the HDD.

___
Rui

#11 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:14 PM

Yes, I tried doing that but it didn't work for me. Also, I booted to WIndows 8 installation disk and selected "Repair this pc" option, but nothing happened( it looked lit it froze for some time). The only option that seems to work at this point are the 3 DVDs I have. At least, I was able to get into Toshiba Recovery Environment. I will try to go on from there and see what happens.

#12 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:41 PM

Yes, I tried doing that but it didn't work for me. Also, I booted to WIndows 8 installation disk and selected "Repair this pc" option, but nothing happened( it looked lit it froze for some time). The only option that seems to work at this point are the 3 DVDs I have. At least, I was able to get into Toshiba Recovery Environment. I will try to go on from there and see what happens.

It should work if you didn't change the BIOS/UEFI configuration.

Did you give up on installing Windows 10 fresh?

___
Rui

#13 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:58 PM

Yes, the BIOS/UEFI settings are still the same.

In regards to the Windows 10 install, I don't know if my current license on the laptop will be removed, if I install a brand new OS.

#14 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:17 AM

In regards to the Windows 10 install, I don't know if my current license on the laptop will be removed, if I install a brand new OS.

If the original OS provided by Toshiba is Windows 8 the key is stored on the UEFI is not lost and you can install Windows 8.1 anytime.

Because you have installed Windows 10 before, the machine is already registered on the Microsoft servers, you can install Windows 10 and simply skip the Windows key prompt, Windows 10 will auto activate when it gain access to the Internet.

___
Rui

#15 Hedgehog83

Hedgehog83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:38 PM

Yes, I did not go with fresh Windows 10 install. I used the 3 DVDs. Currently, after hours and hours of updates, I am upgrading to 8.1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users