Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sluggish Mouse

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wiggin

wiggin

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:41 PM

I have a P4 3.0, brand new. No matter what mouse I use, after working a while, it lags. Never had this happen on any computer. Have reloaded OS an Logitech drivers. I thought it is a CPU heat issue, have and disabled smart fan features in bios, happens either way. Use Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, Spyblaseter and Norton on all computers, this is the only one with problem. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:44 PM

if its wireless try changing the battery if its not go to start>all programs>applications>system tools> and disk defrag, and do a disk dfrag on your hd. Worth a try... if that still doenst work try a system restore... BUT BEFORE DOING THIS TRY CHECKING FOR DUST IN THE MOUSE!!!! :thumbsup:
ROOTKITS BAD!

#3 wiggin

wiggin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:07 PM

I Defragged, still a problem, not the batteries and have tried 3 different mice. I think it is a bug of some sort, a bios setting or hardware issue. I'm stumped. After I reboot, works fine for a while then then it lags behind. 1 gig of ram, not gaming, just online and email.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:28 PM

Do you have Norton anti-spyware?

What programs do you have running in the background?

Use Startup Inspector to manage startup programs instead of msconfig as it better identifies the startup programs so you do not disable essential aps.

Startup Inspector (manages startup menu helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

#5 wiggin

wiggin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:51 AM

Thanks for the advice, love the Startup Inspector. No Norton Anti-Spyware, just Norton Internet Security with Anti-Spam. I thought had disabled Norton and ruled it out as a suspect. So now I have uninstalled it, and just loaded back Anti-Virus. So far so good, I hope that was it. I've used NIS in the past, and never liked it, so my feelings aren't hurt not using it. Am I firewall protected enough with XP Security? That is my concern now.

#6 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:17 PM

Windows firewall isnt a very good firewall. Things can get pst it easily if i were you id download the free version of Zonealarm Firewall here:

http://www.download.com/ZoneAlarm-Internet...4-10546032.html

ONCE ON THE PAGE JUST PRESS THE DOWNLOAD BUTTON AND FOLLOW THE STEPS TO INSTALLATION JUST MAKE SURE YOU TURN OF WINDOWS FIREWALL BEFORE INSTALLING ZONEALARM OR YOU COMPUTER WILL GET MESSED UP.

HAVE FUN :thumbsup:

Edited by zemoman, 15 August 2006 - 12:17 PM.

ROOTKITS BAD!

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:48 PM

Zone Alarm should turn off the Windows firewall as you install it.

The freeware version of ZA will do fine - no need to upgrade to a paid version.

#8 wiggin

wiggin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:49 PM

OK, loaded ZA, familiar with that. Still have problem, especially when CPU is working, I think I got a bad deal. Just don't get it, no other problems. Even took off the Logitech software, still does it. Stumped!

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:11 PM

Look in the device manager and see if there are any yellow or red warning icons especially in the mice and other pointing devices section.

If there are, delete the device, reboot and let Windows find and reinstall it.

If that doesn't resolve the problem:
Download Everest Home Edition from oldversion.com

Get version 1.51 which is the last freeware version that includes the software module which lists all software installed on your computer and provides all the license key numbers a great tool which has been deleted from all successive freeware versions.

Download here from the Utilities section:
http://www.oldversion.com

What temps does it show for your processor?

#10 wiggin

wiggin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:28 PM

No device issues. Took vid card out, but still have problem. Loaded Everest, CPU is hangs around 47C. I have been thinking that was the problem, but that is acceptable isn't it? ired up AdAware, Spybot, MusicMatch, email and 2 browser pages and drove it to 60C. Bios settings had smart an disabled, fan was really load, so I enabled, now it gets faster when CPU is working harder. I am stumped!

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:45 PM

60c is 140F, so that isn't the problem.

Is the mouse usb or PS2?

Whichever it is, did it come with a pull-off adapter to make it the other or do you have a PS2 mouse you can try?

Does Everest show your ram properly?

Have you tried removing all but one stick of ram to see if the problem persists and then changing to one of the others if it does?

(you do not have any ram maximizer program installed - right?)

Edited by Enthusiast, 16 August 2006 - 06:46 PM.

#12 wiggin

wiggin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:50 PM

No ram maximizer. USB wireless mouse. I have an adapter I could try. But this is weird, I broke the front cover on the case of the PC, didn't like it anyway, so I switched cases, problem has not reoccured. 2 days so far, maybe manufacturer had something wrong. Bizzaro! Thanks for all your help!! I learned a few things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users