Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updates 0%

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 feralcatflute

feralcatflute

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:35 AM

Hi, I'm running Windows Vista 32 bit Sp 2. Windows update tells me there are updates available, but when I select them and hit update it runs for hours without any progress. How do I know if it is communicating with the server or not?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:00 AM

A lot of posts in regards to this , let it run overnight and see if that resolves it.

If Not / Otherwise / have a look at this thread - Condobloke`s Comments

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/621990/windows-update-taking-forever/?hl=%2Bwindows+%2Bupdates

#3 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:26 AM

Hi feralcatflute:

Many Vista SP2 and Win 7 SP1 users have been having problems with "Checking for updates..." hangs and slow Windows Updates for several months now.  If running Windows Update overnight doesn't help (or you want to speed up Windows Update), try the step-by-step instructions posted on 16-Jun-2016 in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum.  Once you have pre-installed all the Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) updates on Dalai's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ that are currently missing from your system this should solve your problem.

If you were able to install your June 2016 Patch Tuesday updates last month you will likely find that KB3168965 (MS16-090: Description of the security update for Windows kernel-mode drivers: July 12, 2016) is the only Win32K.sys update currently missing from your system.

Note that Condobloke's suggestion in the Windows 7 forum would not apply to your Vista computer since the Microsoft Easy Fix FAQ <here> notes that "Windows Vista and Windows XP cannot run .diagcab solutions".
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v47.0.1 * NIS v22.7.0.76 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 03 August 2016 - 09:08 AM.

#4 feralcatflute

feralcatflute
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:59 PM

Thanks so much. I ran it overnight and this time it worked. Didn't think it would as I already ran it for about 12 hours straight with no luck. It seems to have magically fixed it self for the time being but we'll see how that goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users