Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Broken: What are Possible Causes and Is it Fixable?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lxno78

Lxno78

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:22 AM

My computer monitor is broken. It will turn on, but it is incapable of staying on. It flashes on for about a split second, then off for about 1 or 2 seconds, and repeats. The monitor will do this regardless of if it is connected or disconnected from the PC. Other monitors will work when plugged into the same port and using the same cable and power cable.

The problem started a few days ago. I left my computer on over night. The monitor had gone into sleep mode, but when I turned it back on it would flash on, then off, on then off. Disconnecting the monitor from the computer and reconnecting it temporarily fixed the problem, until it went the computer and monitor went into sleep mode. Then the problem occurred again after waking the computer and monitor again. But disconnecting and reconnecting it from the computer fixed it again. So, at first as long as I didn't let the monitor go into sleep mode I was fine, and if it did I just had to disconnect it from the computer and reconnect it. Then the issue occurred  again, but disconnecting reconnecting didn't fix it, however restarting the computer and turning the monitor off and on did. Finally the last time the issue occurred, nothing fixed the monitor and the issue persisted on the monitor even when not plugged in to the computer.

What could have caused this? A power surge or spike? A broken power button? Something internal like a capacitor? Also, is this a typical problem that can be fixed or am I looking at options for new monitors?

Monitor Specs: Samsung SyncMaster 206bw (with 2ms and 3000:1 dynamic contrast)

System Specs: Windows 8.1 and Nvidia Geforce GTX 750

Edited by Lxno78, 03 August 2016 - 02:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:44 AM

This symptom is commonly caused by faulty electrolytic capacitors in the PSU. Someone who is familiar with soldering and electrical safety can often successfully repair such by replacing the faulty capacitors (often show bulging or leaking) with good quality 105°C electrolytics of the appropriate values:

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:02 AM

If you can fix this yourself (or know someone who'll do it at no cost) then it's worth fixing - but if you have to pay someone a commercial rate to do it then the cost will probably be more than the value of a nine year old monitor with it's next failure lurking around the corner.

#4 Lxno78

Lxno78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:03 AM

Thank you! That looks pretty much exactly like my problem. I actually know someone who might be able to fix too. If they can't they can't, but now I have better information.

Edited by Lxno78, 03 August 2016 - 03:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users