Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 onemanmosh

onemanmosh

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:06 PM

i have internet explorer 6 and i was just wondering what the pros and cons of having mozilla firefox are?
(first i have to clean my computer up before i get it)

Edited by onemanmosh, 14 August 2006 - 08:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:13 PM

PROS:
Safer browsing, ability to have it run how you want it to and look how you want it to. Easier alround on options and user friendliness. Has regular updates so attackers cant easily high-jack your browsing experience. Plus loads, and i mean LOADS more stuff.

CONS:
Erm.......................er.........................ooh...........................NO, cant really think of any!

Seriously, download the latest version of FF, the sooner the better. Its easy enough to get used to and use, so there is no reason at all not to have it as your default browser.

You must still keep IE, but only use it when going to MS update site, otherwise use firefox and browse with more safety.

Safe Browsing onemanmosh
:thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:29 PM

This topic has been discussed on this board many times.
Do a search on this site for "Firefox", and you'll get more opinions than you'll know what to do with.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 onemanmosh

onemanmosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:51 AM

thanks,
and sorry i didnt think to search for it. i've made my mind up.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:52 PM

Cons?? I have one that drives me bonkers...Every Firefox update renders all your "plugins" inoperable till you update them as well. And if your third party update has not had it's update written you get to wait till it is. Also quite maddening is if your download of updates does not go smoothly you get to uninstall and reinstall all your toys again. So do not get too attached to lesser known "plugins" you may never get to use it again. Or have to revert to a less secure version of firefox also known as an older version......Thats why firefox is no longer my default browser and am quite happy with my Opera. This is not to say that Firefox is not better than IE, just that it's not for me. I found the browser I am very happy with. I also believe that one size does not fit all. Find the browser you like and use it. Choice is good.

Be (Whatever fits your browsing style) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users