Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would this make an ok media center type pc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 j1983

j1983

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:56 PM

Picked up a spare Dell Optiplex 790 from work, it's a decent pc but I have no real use for it. I was wondering if I might be able to use it as a media center type pc, without really knowing what that is. Basically I just need it to play movies stored on a drive, light browsing and maybe some livestreaming sites, I read somewhere maybe apps like kodi would work on windows. 

Intel core i-3 2100 3.1ghz

4gb ram

Ati Radeon 5450

It has vga connectors which I could get a converter for to hdmi.  It's a nice and small pc which is really what gave me the idea to use it with my tv since it's basically the same size as my ps3 and xbox I could just fit it somewhere behind the tv cabinet out of sight. 

Not sure if it's a good idea though with one of these pc's power consumption compared to an android box which I had earlier this year but didn't like the interface. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:56 AM

With VGA out you won't be playing any HDCP content, but since you're wanting to stream this shouldn't be much of an issue.  I'd probably pull the ATI Radeon 5450 and install a card with onboard HDMI.

Do the PS3 or Xbox offer any ability to stream content?

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:35 AM

You would probably need to add in a graphics card with HDMI so you can use HDCP.  I don't know if you will be using any streaming services that check for HDCP.  Something like Plex can help in this setup.  The PS3 allows for DLNA playback (And the PS4's initial lack of this upset gamers) and does have streaming from other online services but the PS3 and Xbox 360 are old, loud, and can be slow in loading.

As an alternative, you could get a mini computer, like an Intel Nuc to do this.  It's the right size and you can load Plex on it, or any other streaming app.  Some content providers sometimes block streaming on PC's, but don't with gaming consoles and set top boxes.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users