Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Flash drive issue in Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wrestling3

wrestling3

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:52 PM

I bought a Datatraveler G4 USB drive to put into my computer which I have windows XP installed. When I first put it in I and it began the download process, it gave me a warning saying it did not have a Windows signature and it could damage the computer. I stopped the installation, but after reading up on it it seemed like this was a standard warning and there shouldn't be any issues. I tried reloading the USB but not the computer is not reading it. One time it said it malfunctioned but was still not reading it. I tried a different USB in the same port and it worked. i tried restarting my computer but it is still not reading the USB, is there a way reset things so the computer accepts the USB and downloads it? Or a way to bypass the warning?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:33 PM

I am not understanding what needs to be downloaded. USB flash drives are plug and play on XP. The driver automatically installs but I have never heard of XP saying it did not have a Windows signature when installing a flash drive for the first time.

Do the following. Download and run USBdeview. Look for your USB flash drive and highlight it then click the remove button which is the red X.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Then attach the USB flash drive in a admin account. Is your XP at SP3?

#3 wrestling3

wrestling3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:49 PM

The first time I entered the flash drive windows stated it had to download the software. Then it gave me a message similar to this,

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.

The problem i have now is at this point my USB is not being read at all. So i cannot even get it to appear on the USB directory. I am not sure if shutting down or turning off the power source might help with this?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:17 PM

Did you try using USBDeview to delete any listing for the flash drive. There may have been some kind of software pre-installed on the drive which wanted to install when you first attached it.

When you attach the flash drive is it listed in Disk Management? Right click computer > manage > disk management.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users