Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I got the UPDATE.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:39 PM

hee hee I just got done installing the anniversary update for windows 10. no issues so far its pretty awesome. Anyone else have any issues or thoughts on the newest update to windows 10? 

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:17 PM

How big was the download? Was it another 3+ gigabytes?

#3 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:28 PM

The way I understand it, Most changes will be made to phones and touchscreens

I dont look for any noticeable changes for my PC

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:28 PM

Well according to my Windows.~BT$ folder which was last used today... Around 4GB. It also created a windows.old folder.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:42 PM

Well according to my Windows.~BT$ folder which was last used today... Around 4GB. It also created a windows.old folder.

Oh great. Looks like another image for me...

#6 Atomic77

Atomic77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:32 PM

Well I never really check the size of updates myself but I do know that it took quite some time before I could actually use the computer again.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#7 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:41 PM

The Install.esd file on my laptop is 3,021,464 KB.  It's running Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

At this point I've installed it on 15 PCs, my laptop and 14 others I support, not counting the 2 test desktops I have the insider version of 14393.10 installed on.  I've seen a few relatively small glitches, but nothing major.  All my software runs just fine.  

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#8 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:16 PM

Has anyone noticed any big changes on there PC?

I thought maybe we would see some improvements in the appearance.

#9 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:50 PM

No real bit changes to the user interface, but the new extensions in Edge are nice.  Adblock Plus and Office Online are both free.  There are some significant new security enhancements, but they're mostly "under the covers" so they're not readily visible.  If you want to see the Microsoft thing about it, click Start and type "get started".  On the whole I don't find it to be anything to get excited about.  YMMV. 

Edited by Niweg, 04 August 2016 - 02:57 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#10 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:54 PM

I always use Firefox as my browser which has the AD block and Ghostery installed

I dont use Cortana

I did watch a couple Youtube videos on the update, and almost nothing will change or improve for me and the way I use 10

I have seriously thought about dumping Avast, and using Windows. They say its pretty good

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:46 PM

I dont use Cortana

I think you will find the verb tense has changed !  As i understand it you no longer have the option not to use Cortana for search although you may have the option to turn of the voice.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:57 PM

I updated to the new build, and the only problem was that my keyboard mapping was reset, but I was expecting it, and I set it again :)

I think you will find the verb tense has changed !  As i understand it you no longer have the option not to use Cortana for search although you may have the option to turn of the voice.

That's strange! I don't have Cortana enabled, and I never wanted it either. Maybe it is not supported in Canada still? Aura, can you confirm?

-CKing

Edited by CKing123, 04 August 2016 - 05:57 PM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,281 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:58 PM

You've never had the option not to use Cortana - that's what Windows Search morphed into along with all the added bells and whistles.

Cortana is the Windows 10 search function.  If you turn off "Get to Know" me in System Settings - Speech, Inking & Typing pane, and also turn off the inclusion of web search results (which I have no idea how to do now that the Anniversary Update has been applied) Cortana behaves as close to precisely the same as Windows Search did as can be.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#14 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:01 PM

I did in the previous build, and it somehow retained the setting. I know that in the newer build, it shouldn't be possible to disable Cortana in the Home edition of Windows 10, which is what I have. I just looked into it and I know why: My language and region don't match, so Cortana has problems and is disabled because of that. Another way to disable it :)

Ex: My region is Canada, but the default language is English (United States), rather than English (Canada)

-CKing

Edited by CKing123, 04 August 2016 - 06:03 PM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,281 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:33 PM

I did in the previous build, and it somehow retained the setting. 

-CKing

I suggest you look at your process list, and I can guarantee you that you're going to see Cortana in that list, even if you are not using any of the Personal Digital Assistant features or including online search results.

People keep having problems differentiating the Cortana process, which is part and parcel of Windows, and "Cortana the assistant" which has been and still is able to be turned off entirely.  If you turn it off entirely you will still have a Cortana process which handles Windows searches.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users