Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blinking white underscore, even after reinstalling Win7!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gklaven

gklaven

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:28 PM

Hi everyone,

(I've looked around on this forum and others, but still I haven't been able to solve my problem. I'm sorry if I've missed any topic that represents the same issue or presents the solution. Anyway, here it is: )

I fell for the offer to upgrade my OEM Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 on my ASUS N55SF, but directly after the installation I was greeted by a black screen with a blinking white underscore in the top left corner directly after startup screen!

I contacted Microsoft support, who couldn't help me very much. They said it probably had something to do with a conflict between my graphic card drivers and Win 10, and my only solution was to reinstall Win 7 with my recovery disc.

I have now found the recovery disc, formatted my system partition and reinstalled Win 7, only resulting in the same black screen with the blinking underscore! The system repair makes no difference. I've run chkdsk /r and everything seemed alright.

By the way, somehow the primary partition (number 2 in my case) is now labelled "E:". I don't know if that affects anything though.

Partition 1 is "RECOVERY", 25Gb (primary)

Partition 2 is the old system partition, 168Gb (primary)

Partition 3 is the system reserved partition, 100Mb (system)

Partition 4 is "DATA" where I have stored all my personal files, 505Gb (logical)

What am I to do?

I'm very thankful for your help and advice. I'm sorry for any misspellings or weird sentences, I'm Swedish and so is the system language on my computer. :)

Edited by gklaven, 02 August 2016 - 04:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:54 PM

The first thing I would try is setting your BIOS settings back to default. Reboot and see if you still have the blank screen.

If your data on the 505GB partition is backed up you can do a factory reset if your Recovery Partition is intact. I believe for ASUS you tap F9 at boot. If you have a setting in BIOS called Boot Booster disable it. 

All data you currently have on the computer will be wiped including any programs you installed. 

Normally you do not need to partition the hard drive on a clean install. You would use the Advanced option. Delete all your partitions except your Data Partition then press next. Windows will automatically partition and format the unallocated space but because your Recovery Partition is at the beginning of the disk I would not recommend doing it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 August 2016 - 04:56 PM.

#3 gklaven

gklaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Default settings in BIOS gives no effect, I'm back to black screen.

I think my data is backed up, but I have to check first. If there is a way to keep the files on that partition I'd be happy of course. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:18 PM

You can boot a linux disk and copy the data to a USB external drive or flash drive. You can burn a disk or use a program called Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. For your purposes I would use a distro called FatDog64. You can download the iso here. You can burn the iso to CD on Windows 7 or later by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. For an ASUS attach the USB flash drive then tap Esc or possibly F8 to access your boot menu. Pick your boot device.

Edit: If you do a factory reset by tapping F9 at boot then your data will be gone.

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Fatdog iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

Fatdog copy instructions;

Boot Fatdog to the desktop. In the lower left of the desktop you will see your partitions listed as sda1...sda2...sda3...etc. Your data partition should be on sda4 but it may be different in your case. Click once on the partition icon. The partition should mount and a File Manager Window will open. If you do not see your files/folders then close the Window and click on another sdaX icon. Once you find your correct partition attach your external USB flash drive or USB external drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and another File Manager Window will open. You can resize and move the two windows until they are side by side by left clicking and dragging the corner and title bar similar to Windows. Once you have both windows side by side highlight the data you want to copy by pressing Ctrl and left clicking or left clicking and dragging a window around your files/folders. You only need to click once to open a folder in Fatdog. Once you have your files/folders highlighted drag them from the sdaX window to the USB flash drive window. A small dialog window will open. Select Copy and check the quiet box. Don't forget your browser bookmarks or email if using a client. Once all your files are copied exit out of Fatdog. You may want to open a few to see if the copy was successful

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 August 2016 - 05:19 PM.

#5 gklaven

gklaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:55 PM

It's late here in Sweden, but tomorrow I will check when I did my latest backup and take a look at the file lists through the command prompt via Windows rescue to see if there's anything I need to save.

When everything important is backed up, and if I haven't got any other options, I'll do a factory reset through the ASUS recovery partition.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:57 PM

Sounds like a plan. Good luck. After the factory reset you can easily repartition the drive to add your data partition using either Gparted in fatdog or the bootable version of Partition Wizard.

#7 gklaven

gklaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:26 AM

Windows 10 is alive and kicking! Thank you so much for all your assistance JohnC_21, I couldn't have done it without your help!

I will try to summarize my obstacles and workarounds here since it might prove useful for someone in a similar situation:

- Since no attempts to repair or install Windows 7 from my ASUS Recovery DVD worked I went for a complete factory reset via the Recovery partition pre-installed on my computer (F9 on boot).

- Factory reset worked, OEM Win 7 Home Premium installed. Removed bloatware and updated graphic card drivers (ASUS N55SF has a dual graphic system).

- Windows Update took forever to show results when searching for updates. Installed the April 15 Servicing Stack Update and Convenience Rollup and finished the remaining updates.

- Resized the disk partitions with Partition Wizard and Rufus.

- Created a full disk backup with Macrium Reflect, in case the Win 10 upgrade would fail again. Also created a bootable USB with Macrium on Windows PE installed.

- Uninstalled my current antivirus software (Avast).

- Upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10. Success!

- Created another full disk backup with Macrium before installing software, in case I would need a clean install of Win 10 in the future.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 12:14 PM

Your Welcome,

Thanks for taking the time to post your steps for the upgrade. Glad you are up and running. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users